Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

sometimes the computer tells me i have to restart. and i choose to restart later. then i end up forgetting and just shut it down. then i start it back up the next day. is that bad for the computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Only bad if whatever was requesting the restart was corrupted by use during the time you chose to ignore the restart. i.e. Your antivirus updates needed to be restarted to load the latest definitions. You chose later and in the mean time opened mail with something malicious embedded and it was missed by the old definitions. If you choose to restart later just be sure what the reason for restarting is not something you will be using during the time. Othrwise restart now or later makes no difference.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

In regard to installing new software, most software programs today don't require a restart in XP. But once in awhile, after installing a new program, it will ask you to restart because that will complete the installation of the program, empty any temp files used during the installation, etc. So, you should do it then.

I'm still in the habit of restarting (from my Window Me days), even though I now use XP and no restart is required most of the time. I just do it anyway. It's no big deal. Takes only a few extra seconds. And it's better to be safe than sorry.

#4 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

:flowers: I know I'm off, but then I usually am a little off!! lol Mommabear I finally got the chance to tell you how much I love your avatar!!! It's so me!! :trumpet: :thumbsup: Yours ranks right up there with the best as far as I'm concerned and Animal, what can I say-- I loved your other one but this scat cat is the best, I love that slightly mean yet bored look he has while twittleing his fingers ( or toes as the case may be) either way he's terrific!! :inlove:

Best to all of you,
Iodine
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#5 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

what i meant was when i uninstall some programs. and it says it has to restart for the changes to take effect or something. so i choose to restart later, but forget and i dont restart at all. i just turn off the computer and turn it on the next day.

does whatever needs to be restarted do what it has to do when i shut it off and start it up again?

i guess in other words- is shuting off and turning on the computer the same as restarting when it comes to things that need to be restarted to complete the uninstallation?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Look at it this way, if it offers you the options of either restarting now or later you are simply doing the later option. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

i guess in other words- is shuting off and turning on the computer the same as restarting when it comes to things that need to be restarted to complete the uninstallation?

Yes.

Edited by mommabear, 10 August 2007 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users