Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Trying To Buy A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm saving up for a laptop now, and I've decided I'll get a good gaming laptop. My confusion is that with Dells, their laptop has one thing I want, but not the other (video cards). When I find the laptop that has what I want, it's got too many extra wingdings on it to be affordable. I could go to voodoo and get all I want, but they are EXPENSIVE. How hard would it be to buy a barebones laptop and build it from there?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

How expensive is too expensive. You could go with a model from Falcon Northwest Or from Alienware.
I looove the frag book but its a little out of my price range.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ØÇë¦òT

ØÇë¦òT

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

Frankly, I stay away from gaming laptops whenever i can. They just aren't as reliable and powerful as a desktop. Could you go for a fragbox-like system instead?

Posted Image

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

I don't know what a fragbox is please explain. As for notebook DIMMS, I'm looking at an Alienware but I know I can get the Ram upgrade cheaper from NewEgg. What kind of RAM does the Alienware M5550 take?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=41039

I agree
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Da chew, I agree with the article in that a gaming laptop isnt a good choice for a primary gaming rig. but they are nice to have when you wan't to run a bot and of course your rich.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

I don't want to be able to run 400xAA or anything... just medium-high settings, you know, to enjoy gaming on the go. I won't game that much on the go, but who wants to buy another laptop after they figure out they do want to game?

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

I beleive the article was stating that gaming specific laptops are highly overpriced for their performance. Comparably speaking for the 6,000 you spend on a gaming laptop you could build a nice gaming pc and buy solid a notebook. Depending on the graphics chip and ram you should be able to play most games on a good quality laptop. When I played Dark Age of Camelot I ran 2 accounts one on my Athlon 64 system and the other on a Compaq laptop. The bot always kept up and even in heavy battle the character didn't lag much. You won't however be able to max out the graphics settings and some games may not even run on laptops.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

Here I'll post the stats and the price... I think it's a darn good deal I'm getting from Alienware.

Product Detail
[1] Area-51® m5550
$1299
Video/Graphics Card: 128MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400
Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD - Saucer Silver
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Intel® 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Media Center upgrade options are not available with Windows Vista Home Basic.
System Drive: 80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW Burner
Sound Card : Intel® 7.1 High-Definition Audio
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mousepad
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $100 Value - FREE!

I'm going to upgrade the video card and RAM for cheaper on NewEgg. Will the video card be difficult to replace in a laptop due to proprietary heatsinks and all that jazz?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 16 August 2007 - 10:00 AM.

#10 ØÇë¦òT

ØÇë¦òT

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

I'd watch out for alienware. . .They haven't been the same since they were bought by dell.

Posted Image

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

How are you going to upgrade the video? I didn't find any laptop video cards on Newegg, I was under the impression that it's very hard to find parts for laptops if you are not the company building them.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'm going to upgrade the video card and RAM for cheaper on NewEgg. Will the video card be difficult to replace in a laptop due to proprietary heatsinks and all that jazz?

Almost every laptop that I have opened and worked on has the video soldered onto the mainboard.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

That's not good. They said the laptop didn't support anything above 256MB, so I figured I'd get something better than the highest option for that laptop, the 7600GT GO. I was thinking DX10, but have those not been released for laptops yet? It's hard to keep up with what's come out in the laptop world since the big companies have to test all the parts going into the systems for a couple months.

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Here is an interesting link about gaming laptops: http://www.bizwaremagic.com/best_gaming_notebooks.htm, plus the second link should be interesting for you also. http://www.widowpc.com/2005/06/gaming_laptops.php
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:02 PM

newer hi-end laptops are coming with actual video cards, to replace you have pull most everything but the mobo out,
replacements or upgrades will be very hard to find.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users