Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsoding For Unknown Reason

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hibachi

hibachi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

My family's desktop computer has recently become a steaming pile of useless blue.

It first BSODs when my brother is using it, using firefox to view Myspace and Windows Messenger Live. After that, it will re-BSOD almost every other time it reboots. Rebooting in safe mode even reaches it. The only usable option is "Reboot from last working Configuration."

Open reboot, it gives the error

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC00000005, 0X805C28EB, 0XF8A0E1E8, 0XF8A0DEE4)

It suddenly starting working for no reason I while ago, but than began to crash repeatedly again.

I've already ran Avast! and that cleared up a few viruses. I'm about to try memtest 86 to see if there's anything in there.

I'm wondering if I need to update my BIOS, as it's an old Dell Dimension 2350 A02 version, but I'm not totally sure how to go about that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

There's some information on that particular stop error here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx
Usually stop errors occur because of a bad or corrupt driver, is there any file like a .dll given in the error that might identify it?
Posted Image

#3 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

no .ddl is listed on a boot-up failure, and I don't think during a usage failure, but once memtest finishes going I can get my brother going on it to recreate the failure and double check.

#4 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Crash recreated once again, this time the stop error is

OXC0000007E (0XC0000005, OX865C28EB, OXF897A93C, OXF897A638)

Once again, no dll file is pointed to.

Avast! picked up some more viruses when boot time scan ran finally, killing a few files which I hoped would have solved the problem. Memtest 86 also brought up no problems with my memory. I'm going to check out the Event Viewer and see what that says later, then try some of the other things that website posted lists.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Viruses can cause BSOD's - so their removal is essential to troubleshooting this issue.
They may also have corrupted your drivers - so it may still be necessary to troubleshoot this issue even after the viruses are removed.

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp. If you find them, use this link ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) to analyze them. Then post the results here so we can have a look at them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I had my tonsils removed and felt like eating ice and sleeping rather than being constructive.

Crash Dumps for
August 8th
August 9th
August 11th when I tried to reboot the computer today.

Event Viewer also really didn't show anything beside a minor error with Windows Messenger Live's Share Folder not working once and avast! hanging on start up since before problems started. That would explain how viruses found their way in.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

If memtest didn't come up with any errors and no hardware or drivers have been changed recently I'm betting it's some sort of malware infection, in which case you may want to head over to the hijackthis forum with a log ready.
Posted Image

#8 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

The only hardware that has been added was a USB wireless adapter a few weeks ago, but problems didn't begin immediately after it started. Like I said, it took a few weeks for some problems to pop up.

Finishing a few more preparations before getting the log and posting it.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

The errors refer to an attempt by a hardware resource to access memory in an unapproved way. As others have stated, this can be a virus or a corrupt driver. Try the HiJackThis Team and if you're "clean", then we can attempt to isolate and repair any other problems that may exist.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 hibachi

hibachi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

I believe I fixed the problem. I used jv16 PowerTools to forcibly remove all traces of AOL from the system and the blue screen seemed to stop appearing on shut down or reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users