Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Live Protect Parasite?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Reem

Reem

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hey everyone, I've been having major problems this week with my laptop. At first it was really slow, and dragging but after using a few spyware and anti virus programs, and cleaning up the drives, it's been a lot better. The thing is I keep having this pop up that says 'spyware infection has been detected' then it tells me to download system live protect to get rid of it. No matter how much I clean out the comp that is still there. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? It's really annoying and I'm afraid it's going to do a lot of damage.

Also, when I start up my comp I get the black screen that says what I want to use such as Windows XP, or Windows XP safe mode...etc. I don't even know how that got there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 09 August 2007 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

See the following Bleeping Computer removal guide:

How to remove System Live Protect
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the link. I did the whole process and it didn't work. The whole cleaning process worked, but when I got to the part where I had to remove system live protect from control panel and program files, it wasn't there.

#4 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:10 PM

Anyone know what I could of done wrong in the process?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

That is good that it is not in the Add/Remove programs. That means you got rid of it.
You probably have other malware though that came with the Smitfraud.

Suggest you run a scan with SAS.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Please let us know the results.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

That is good that it is not in the Add/Remove programs. That means you got rid of it.
You probably have other malware though that came with the Smitfraud.

Suggest you run a scan with SAS.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Please let us know the results.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

I couldn't find it in the add/remove programs section, but I still have the same exact system live protect pop up that says it's infected.

#7 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

I scanned with the superantispyware program. It actually found system live protect. I put it under quartine, restarted the comp, and the pop up still shows up. I am so confused with all this.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:08 AM

It is time for you to post a hijack this log:

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Reem

Reem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:39 AM

It is time for you to post a hijack this log:

Just posted.

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:46 AM

Reem,

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users