Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevev

stevev

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

I'm Currently lookin for a new computer and this is what i've found:

It's the Dell Dimension 9200, specs are :

Processor : Intel Viiv Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache)
Ram : 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
HD : 500GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst cache]
GPU : 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600GTS graphics card
Optical Drive : 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
Dell 22" Black Wide Flat Panel

Price : 848.99

I'll be mainly using it for gaming and was wondering if it's going to be "future Proof" or atleast so for about 4-5 years.
I dont think ill be OC'ing as i know nothing about how to do it.

I also have a few questions :
What does the intel "Viiv" Processor have better then the same processor without ?
Bit of a silly question here but the 16x DVD +/- RW Drive does it mean i can copy and write DvDs ?
Is the 8600GTS going to be powerful enough to run games like UT3 and Crysis ?
Is the Q6600 going to be powerful enough to easily handle Next gen gaming ?
Is the ATA Raid 0 The High Performance HD ?
Does it seem Good value for money ?

Any Info Would be Helpful :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

the ram is not that fast, the quad core is probably the new G0 stepping which was redesigned to lower power and solve heat issues with the BX series

4-5 years is pushing it, there will be games that come out that require something not even made yet before then

the raid stripe is performance but you have 1 drive fail you loose everything, modern drives are plenty fast enough for almost all uses without striping a raid

Edited by DaChew, 09 August 2007 - 02:26 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

I was about to post and say to buy that right now, until I saw the price was in euros. I thought it was in dollars, what a deal that would be!

Yes, the dvd drive can read and write pretty much everything you need, unless you want to use your computer as a blueray system or something (not a good idea, just buy a ps3 =D ).

Posted Image

#4 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

your best looking to see if you can get an 8800 rather than the 8600.

#5 stevev

stevev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

For an Extra 100 on top of the price i could get a 8800.

As for the processor and ram, is it easily going to be handle next gen gaming ?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

The processor and ram should be fine. You can easily add more ram too. Definetly go with an 8800GTX or Ultra, but an 8800GTS is still very good. The 8600 series isn't going to play upcoming directx10 games coming out very well, which is the future of gaming. An 8800 series card will. I'd say you could play most new games on that system for at least 3 years, with maybe just a ram upgrade sometime.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users