Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random And Fatal Crashes In Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlleyCatty

AlleyCatty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have a computer that is running Windows XP Home that for some reason, out of the blue, has started to freeze and/or restart at random. I have four sticks of Ballistics Tracer Crucial DDR 500 RAM and I have tried them in singles and pairs and in different slots, making sure they're in firmly. I have even tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, which says they're okay. I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I contacted Award Bios, who says there is no bios update, that I have the latest one. I have an Nvidia 6600 graphics card and that has always worked fine too. I have cleaned, attached and re-attached everything in my computer. The fans are working fine. I have a Corsair 520W power supply. I have an onboard sound card and now the drivers for it aren't being recognized. I have been using AVG Antivirus and Antispyware. I have even started having trouble with my DVD/CD drives not being recognized, as of today and I replaced one of the cables, which didn't fix it. I have tried just about everything I can think of and this problem is getting worse. Please someone help, I'm at the end of my rope! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

What does the event viewer show?

Control panel> Administrative tools> Even viewer, go to the column titled Event, if you right click on these and then properties it will have an explanation of the error. Please list the last four.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AlleyCatty

AlleyCatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:08 AM

Will I be able to do that, since I did a repair and it redid a lot of things? I keep getting page file dump errors, different ones and the last one said it was starting a memory dump at the bottom. It seems to be a little better after trying to do a repair, but it's still acting up a bit. When I try to run Registry Mechanic, it causes that blue screen error too.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:08 AM

If you are still having problem yes, this information will provide a starting point for troubleshooting.

Any time you get an error message please write it down so that you can provide us with it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi AlleyCatty. First provide the list of the latest Event Viewer errors.

A failing / marginal power supply can cause all sorts of seemingly unrelated software and hardware errors that can't be tracked to a specific source. But you can observe the main power supply outputs and generally determine whether it is working properly or not. Install Everest Home and see if the voltages are within these good operational ranges at all times:
+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

Also look at the "Temperatures" section under "Sensor". The CPU temperature should be under 50 degrees C. While playing movies or games also keep Everest running and check it from time to time for the voltages and temperatures. Perhaps you will be able to diagnose a heat problem or a failing power supply.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html Everest Home (Free)

I won't trust any Windows-based memory diagnostic because their are huge blocks of RAM that are in use at any one time and cannot be tested properly. Download and burn Memtest86 or Memtest86+ to a CD.

This will be a self-booting disc. Make sure your BIOS setting has the devices' boot order such that the optical drive is listed before/above the hard drive. You will need a burning program that can burn .ISO image files to a CD such as Nero, Active ISO Burner (free) or CDBurnerXP Pro (free).
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/...SO-Burner.shtml
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ A general-purpose burning program

Just load the burnt CD in your master optical drive and restart your PC. Memtest86(+) will load and run by itself. Let it run at least 3 complete passes. It should list no errors. If it does, turn off the PC, take out all but one RAM stick and re-run the diagnostic. Keep switching the RAM sticks until you find the bad one(s). To stop the test at any time unload the CD and push the power or reset button.

The problem with the drivers for the on-board sound chip seems unrelated to the crash/freeze problem. Make sure the sound chip is still enabled in the BIOS. If it is then reload its drivers. If the drivers remain missing then Uninstall the sound adapter in Hardware Manager and restart your PC. Hopefully XP will automatically reload the drivers and get the device working again.

#6 AlleyCatty

AlleyCatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

This is a very good answer, thank you. I'm not getting error messages now because I reformatted and totally re-installed Windows. It seems to be fine now, but I don't trust it. I was getting all sorts of error problems, just about anything you can name and it seemed to me to be more than a corrupt registry, but I didn't know what else to do. After all this hard work, I don't want it to start acting up again, so I've downloaded Everest and I'm also going to try Memtest86. I've taken out two of my sticks of RAM, so I'm running 1000 gb instead of 2000 gb. I don't know if my machine just doesn't like running that much memory or what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users