Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed More Memory,now I Have No Power To My Keyboard Or Mouse, And Coming Up In Safemode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peacechild554

peacechild554

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

I have a Dell system and we bought more memory from Radio Shack to add to the system. It said it was compatible, but my husband put it in yesterday, and when he went to bring the system back up, it is trying to come up in safe mode, and also the mouse or key board will not work? Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

Are the mouse and keyboard PS2 or USB devices?

Can you tell us what the make and model of the computer is, and the same for the RAM?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 peacechild554

peacechild554
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

USB... I do not have all the information with me on the system . All I do know today is that it is a Dell and it was one of the cheapest ones they had 1 1/2 years ago. I will try to write it all down and bring with me tomorrow. I'm sorry, I should have been more prepared before posting.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

No problem, let's look at the keyboard and mouse problem, USB keyboards and mouse are enabled manually in the BIOS, for what ever reason yours may have been reset to the default setting which means that you will need to go into the BIOS and enable the USB kb and mouse.

Try taking the new RAM out and see if it will boot normally with the old RAM, if the old RAM is installed with the new try the new RAM by itself.

Is the date and time correct?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

ooops, enter error code here: stupid user error, to continue strike any user.

Edited by dc3, 09 August 2007 - 01:14 PM.

#6 peacechild554

peacechild554
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

When the screen comes on it has a message that it is in safe mode and to click the mouse or hit any key but neither the mouse or keyboard has power.
We tried unhooking everything and rehooking and just put the original memory card back in , but still nothing. The light on the monitor goes from green to orange and so does the light on the tower,if that makes any sense.The fan is working and I have power to the printer and the speakers. Its almost like the monitor starts to come on like normal, then the safe mode box comes up and then the screen is blank.

#7 master green

master green

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hi,
I think what you might want to be aware of is, to the best of my knowledge if your mouse and/or keyboard is running off of your USB port that they will not work in safe mode...That is more than likely why when it attempts to access safe mode they are inoperable...For now, I would shut down your computer and hook up a PS2 keyboard and mouse...Before booting up your computer, I would double check and make sure the memory or memory chips are properly installed (both clips on the ends are properly seated)...The other thing you might want to positively keep in mind is that when messing around inside of a computer that there are designated wrist bands that one should wear in-order to avoid static electricity which could damage the motherboard...I'm not saying one was not worn or that is the root of your computer issue but if one was not worn it's not something we can rule out with certanity...Keep us posted...

Edited by master green, 10 August 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

Unplug the system and open up the case again. Make sure to ground yourself on the metal of the case before venturing inside.

Check to make sure no cables were accidentally knocked loose when installing the RAM modules.

Remove the RAM module(s) that you installed, leaving the original modules in place and try to reboot the computer. If it works then, try to re-insert the new RAM modules (making sure that the slots are cleaned out and that the modules are firmly seated).

Some systems will ask you to press F1 or F2 (or some other key) if the memory has changed. If so, enter the BIOS and save the new settings, then reboot.

Finally, boot into Safe Mode using a PS2 keyboard and use keyboard shortcuts to shut it down. Then reboot and see if it'll allow you into regular mode.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users