Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft.windows.iefirewallbypass

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

My husband's computer is acting up again. So he ran Spybot and it found Microsoft.Windows.IDFirewallBypass. I'm confused by what I find when I google this, so I thought I'd ask here before telling him what to do about it. He did turn off the Windows firewall the other day because we were having problems with our network, but he turned it back on after turning it off didn't help.

He's also been having trouble with his Microsoft keyboard. The programmable keys aren't doing what they are programmed to do. In fact sometimes keys that aren't programmable are acting funny....like the Caps Lock key closing down Firefox. And today he can't use Firefox at all and something is trying to dial the modem, which isn't actually hooked up to anything, but obviously something is trying to access the outside world without his permission. Is there a way to find out what is trying to dial the modem?

I'm sure I'll be posting a HJT log later today, because obviously something is seriously wrong. But for now I was hoping someone could give me some clue. Thanks!

Judi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

If you use a third party Firewall like ZoneAlarm, Ignore this warning.

If you are only using the built-in Windows firewall allow Spybot to Fix the Problem.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

We don't use any other software firewall. We do have a router with it's own firewall, but the Windows firewall doesn't seem to interfere with that so we've always just left it on. I'll tell my husband to go ahead and let Spybot fix it.

Thanks Bunches!!!

Edited by Judi_e, 10 August 2007 - 06:17 AM.

#4 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:21 AM

OK, so he's going to let Spybot take care of the IEFirewallBypass thing. Does anyone know how he can find out what is trying to dial the modem? Any idea why his keyboard suddenly started acting funny?

I didn't end up working on it last night because we had a new Tivo box to hook up and play with.....either tonight or Sunday I'll be spending a good deal of time with it trying to get it to work right again.

Is it finally just time to format his hard drive and start over?

#5 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

I think you have to go read the "Am I Infected thread and the other one about "What to do before posting a HJT Log" Full of plain simple steps to help you identify and fix your problem.

A nice "Free" little programme you can use to identify what is accessing the internet is TCPview. Shows all current traffic and a history record of what is using the net or trying to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...es/TcpView.mspx

#6 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, I'll probably go through all the "What to do before posting a HJT Log" stuff tonight or Sunday. Thanks for the link. My husband has installed it and is trying to figure out what it's telling him, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users