Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Northridge Earthquake

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

--- TRINET'S SHAKEMAP ---
-- A Broadcaster's Guide to Reporting Earthquake Intensity --

Earthquake Information Summary:
Date: Thu Aug 9, 2007
Time: 12:58:49 AM PDT
Name: Unnamed Earthquake (Event ID 14312160)
Magnitude: 4.5

ShakeMap on the world-wide web: http://www.trinet.org/shake

INSTRUMENTAL INTENSITY SCALE:
ESTIMATED INTENSITY PERCEIVED SHAKING POTENTIAL DAMAGE
------------------- ----------------- ---------------
I Not Felt None
II-III Weak None
IV Light None
V Moderate Very Light
VI Strong Light
VII Very Strong Moderate
VIII Severe Moderate/Heavy
IX Violent Heavy
X Extreme Very Heavy
------------------- ----------------- ----------------

TRINET is the seismic network in southern California operated
cooperatively by:
United States Geological Survey (USGS)
California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
California Division of Mines and Geology (CDMG)

CONTACTS:
Dr. David Wald, USGS, Pasadena
Dr. Bruce Worden, USGS, Pasadena
Mr. James Goltz, Caltech

Well another earthquake in northridge. The San Fernado valley portion of Los Angeles. A pretty good one rattling my windows. If anyone is interested the info on where to look is right above. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry I spelled northridge wrong in the title.

Edited by news4la, 09 August 2007 - 04:23 AM.

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

blame them,
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recent.../us2007fubd.php
at least yours was small :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

I'm sorry I spelled northridge wrong in the title.

I fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Between the earthquakes and the forest fires I'm putting a petition together to have our state nicknamed "The Shake and Bake State". :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Well, let's see "The Shake and Bake State", you must be bakin' chicken!!! :thumbsup:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Shake and Bake is now available for Pork Chops too.

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I have one earthquake experience that I enjoy telling about. Back in the mid seventies I was sharing a four bedroom house with four other friends, Walt and I were in the garage with the garage door open on a beautiful spring day working on our separate projects. Our mail box was on the garage door so when the postman came by he walked in to deliver the mail and stopped to talk, during this conversation the postman leaned over onto the sissy bar on the back of Walt's Harley which didn't sit particularly well with Walt. While this guy is talking we had an earthquake, not a bad one, it did cause a portable dish washer to dance out in the middle of the floor, and the postman took his arm off of the sissy bar as if he had been shocked, but not a bad one. We had the radio on and what seems like was immediately after Carol King's "I feel the earth move"started playing, and without missing a beat Walt looks at the postman and tells him "that's what you get for messing around with my bike".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:41 AM

I have one earthquake experience that I enjoy telling about. Back in the mid seventies I was sharing a four bedroom house with four other friends, Walt and I were in the garage with the garage door open on a beautiful spring day working on our separate projects. Our mail box was on the garage door so when the postman came by he walked in to deliver the mail and stopped to talk, during this conversation the postman leaned over onto the sissy bar on the back of Walt's Harley which didn't sit particularly well with Walt. While this guy is talking we had an earthquake, not a bad one, it did cause a portable dish washer to dance out in the middle of the floor, and the postman took his arm off of the sissy bar as if he had been shocked, but not a bad one. We had the radio on and what seems like was immediately after Carol King's "I feel the earth move"started playing, and without missing a beat Walt looks at the postman and tells him "that's what you get for messing around with my bike".

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

Between the earthquakes and the forest fires I'm putting a petition together to have our state nicknamed "The Shake and Bake State". :thumbsup:

:trumpet: Where do I sign?
Good thing this summer isn't as hot as the last one though, last years was brutal. I'm in Burbank (about 2 or so miles from Griffith Park) and felt the quake, at first it felt like someone was shaking their foot then it got a little bit stronger then stopped. I'm glad that was the only one because I got flash backs from the scary Northridge quake. :flowers:

#10 news4la

news4la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

Thank you animal for fixing that. That was nice of you.

#11 news4la

news4la
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

I like to call it the land of fruits and nuts!

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

Earthquakes: When Mother Earth has gas.

We here in San Francisco had a pretty good shake a few weeks back. Woke me out of a sound sleep. I always wonder what the tourists think after one of our mini-quakes. We have at least 5 or 6 a year. Residents just roll over and go back to sleep, but I wonder what the farm boy from Nebraska is thinking in his room on the 20th floor of the Holiday Inn down the block :thumbsup:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

I like to call it the land of fruits and nuts!

I seem to remember an analogy about San Francisco being like granola, if you took out all the nuts and flakes all you would have left are the fruits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users