Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto/car Lighter Voltage Converters For Laptops?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 King Camel

King Camel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering if those cigarette lighter voltage converters that sell for around 20 bucks really work...and if they're safe to use for my laptop while in my car. Does anyone have any horror stories regarding these things? It seems like they might be handy when going on long road trips. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

From personal experience if your going to do allot of traveling either spend the money for a good Power inverter or get a 12 volt laptop power supply Like one of these from Targus. My brother has his own buisness and runs his laptop in his truck all day after 3 weeks the cyberpower inverter he got crapped out. It was rated at 150 W which should have been plenty for a laptop. We upgraded him to a marine grade 700W power inverter and directly wired it to his truck. While his option was permanent and a little overkill its been up and running solid for a year. I have also heard great things about the Targus adapters but they are a little pricey. He chose the hard wired unit because being a MECP certified installer I could put it in for him. With installation both units cost about the same.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

Light Use they work fine (as long as its rated at more WATTs then your Laptop uses. If you intend to use it for extended periods of time it will crap out on you (one 50 cm fan will not cool it efficaciously) If your going to run your laptop for more then 1 hr at a time I would suggest getting a normal power inverter and hot wiring it straight from the Battery. If you dont feel comfortable doing it let the stereo installers a Best Buy or Circuit City do it (or better yet find a real mechanic to do it)

Posted Image

#4 King Camel

King Camel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the knowledgeable advice. I appreciate it! I'm not in the habit of doing things the
easiest/cheapest way (and that's what my first impression of these were), so I'll be looking
into a hard-wired power inverter. Now I know what I need. Thanks again!
I guess the old saying still stands true..."Quality remains long after price is forgotten"

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:49 PM

Word to the wise "3 to 1", What ever your planning on doing make sure it can handle 3 times that load (ie my laptop take 75watts so i would want a 225watt inverter to power it). The inverter will run cooler and more effciant that way. (BTW this rule also works for ropes, ladders, forklift loads and just about everything else)

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

I've used a cheap converter and found that it was so sensitive that almost any movement would shut it off. I opted for a Targus "in-car" power adapter and have been happy with it now for quite a while.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users