Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Freezes At Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 szynka545

szynka545

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:03 AM

I'm visiting my mother for the summer and was doing some maintainance on her computer. I updated Java by downloading Java 6 Update 2 from the Sun website and installed it without removing the previous versions. When I tried to restart the computer, it froze before windows could completely load. Specifically it was at the black screen with the color Windows logo and blue progress bar. I could hear the hard drive making all the normal noises but then it stopped. The progress bar kept moving but there was no hard drive access. After 10 or 15 minutes of waiting, I turned off the computer and restarted it in safe mode. It worked and I tried uninstalling the new Java. No problems until I tried restarting it. Same thing happened - stuck at the same point at the startup screen. I also tried Last Known Good Configuration and it works fine. The computer runs fine under it. But when I tried various System Restore points, none of them have worked. I still have the same problem. I've tried uninstalling all versions of Java and reinstalling the newest. Any ideas because I've run out of them? Any help greatly appreciated.
Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

I'm a little confused after reading your post. You say that Last Known Good Configuration "works fine", but then you go on to say that you "still have the same problem". Do you mean that you can boot into Safe Mode but not Normal Mode? One thing to try is to run the System File Checker (sfc) while in Safe Mode.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

szynka545 means that now that booting into Windows once again works properly he can't use Sytem Restore to work. The question now is if System Restore worked before the update problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users