Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Things That Annoy You Part Deux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

I was reading through a post this evening when it struck me that there are some companies out there that make is so difficult to dislodge their products from your computer that the average user will throw their hands up in despair and relinquish their purse strings to continue the abuse rather than put up with the torture.

One that comes to mind immediately is symantec. Here is one of their hidden instructions that I was able to find after reading the finer fine print on their auxiliary set of instruction translated from English to Korean and then from Chinese to English...per usual.

"This is very important, don't forget to hold your nose with your left hand while spinning counter clock wise with you right index finger pointing constantly due south other wise symantec will not recognize this as a valid procedure and will cause you to be afflicted with six more weeks of aggravation."

I swear that symantec has a staff that has no other agenda than to think of ways to plague their users with trivial pratfalls that the average user would never consider just to complicate and frustrate their lives.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

Another one comes to my mind Microsoft.

Posted Image

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

:flowers: Yep, Norton (symantec) is a piece of work now aint it ? I remember removing it from a old win98 box (mine) back in '02, Wild Doggies! that was fun. it had norton oem on it plus 2001 that I had installed a year earlier , took the norton av uninstaller , jv16, and alot of time in regedit, I can't remember how many left over traces of it I pulled out (1400+ comes to mind). the only thing worse was trying to get rid of all the zone alarm items from the reg when I switched to sygate :thumbsup: (IIRC i had to edit the reg just to get the others to works ) but most of it could have been left alone with no problems, but what fun would that have been ?

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

What really annoys me more than anything is the fact that no one wants to talk to me until I get on the computer!!! My hubby will sit half asleep all evening and let him hear the click of the keys and you'd think his brain was in idle and his mouth in neutral and running on No Doze!!!!
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

:flowers: Yep, Norton (symantec) is a piece of work now aint it ? I remember removing it from a old win98 box (mine) back in '02, Wild Doggies! that was fun. it had norton oem on it plus 2001 that I had installed a year earlier , took the norton av uninstaller , jv16, and alot of time in regedit, I can't remember how many left over traces of it I pulled out (1400+ comes to mind). the only thing worse was trying to get rid of all the zone alarm items from the reg when I switched to sygate :thumbsup: (IIRC i had to edit the reg just to get the others to works ) but most of it could have been left alone with no problems, but what fun would that have been ?

Ah yes, Sygate...yet another reason not to like symantec, they bought sygate and ended one of the best free firewalls.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Aaaargh! I knew Norton was a pain, but Sygate too?:thumbsup:

Why don't they make sure there inistaller does its job?
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:32 AM

Aaaargh! I knew Norton was a pain, but Sygate too?:thumbsup:

Why don't they make sure there inistaller does its job?

Sygate wasn't a pain, quite the opposite, this was a sweet easy to use firewall that was free...until symantec bought Sygate and took their fire wall out of circulation.

#8 sooski3

sooski3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

What really annoys me more than anything is the fact that no one wants to talk to me until I get on the computer!!! My hubby will sit half asleep all evening and let him hear the click of the keys and you'd think his brain was in idle and his mouth in neutral and running on No Doze!!!!

I totally share your pain iodine...

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

Another fun thing to do is to eradicate the AOL virus* that comes bundled with the OS on most computers.

* I call it the AOL virus, because AOL software will completely take over a machine if someone signs up for their "services". And if you've belonged to AOL and then switched to something reputable, it's almost simpler just to re-install the OS, rather than digging out and destroying all of the AOL crapola that's floating around the OS, waiting to cause havoc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users