Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Okay... I am getting my new PC built right now, and I am giving serious thought to overclocking. Here's my main gear:

Antec P182 case with Nexus fans and a Corsair HX520 power supply
Intel E6750 CPU with Scythe Ninja heat sink and Nexus 120mm fan
2GB (2 x 1GB sticks) of G.Skill DDR2 800 GBHZ RAM (4-4-4-12 timings)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard

I've heard that the best FSB to RAM speed ratio is 1:1. Will my motherboard automatically adjust this ratio as needed, or do I need to set it manually in the BIOS? Since my stock CPU FSB is 333MHz, and my RAM is at 400MHz stock, that ratio is 5:6... does the system know to automatically adjust the ratio to 5:6?

In order to maintain a 1:1 ratio, my CPU FSB needs to be 400MHz, which will result in a 3.2GHz CPu speed with the 8x multiplier of the E6750... is this correct?

I am assuming that I will need to bump the voltage of my CPU to maintain stability at the 400MHz FSB... right? Any idea what that voltage should be, and what the voltage descriptor in my BIOS is? Is this the vCore I read about?

I've also heard that I need to lock my PCI Express at 100MHz...
what do you tink?

Anyway, I assume that if I just increase my FSB to 400MHz that all will be right with the world... as long as I have my CPU cooling in order right?

Please help!

Thank you!

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:16 PM