Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Enable Dhcp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 puravida

puravida

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hi everyone; problem is as follows.

I am getting fairly frequent IP conflicts between my devices; where they are assigned the same IP and lock iup the network.
This usually happens after the power flickers off or some other unexpected shutdown/reboot of the modem, router or desktops.

When the router and desktops reboot after a power outage, I assume they are trying to obtain their IP addresses. But the laptop and VOIP phones don't shutdown during these surges. So when everything comes back online, there is often a shared IP address conflict.

i have to disconnect at least two devices, the VOIP phones, since I cannot manually release and renew their IPs. Then restart the modem and router to assign fresh IP's to the computers and after all is completed I can reconnect the phones to obtain their IPs.

One concern I had was that I cannot get two of the computers to indicate that DHCP is enabled.
I have accessed the TCP/IP protocol properties in the LAN connection and selected "Obtain IP Address Dynamically," as well as DNS server.
But no matter what, it remains as "DHCP Enabled: NO" :thumbsup:

SETUP:
3 computers and 2 voip telephones are accessing the net via a Linksys WRT54G.
The WRT54G is set to DHCP and is assigning IP's to the devices as .101, .102, .103, etc.

2 of the computers are desktops and connected via NICs and cables to the router. [Both XP Pro]
1 computer is a wireless laptop connection. [XP Home]

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

could you not assign all device there own IP's instead of DHCP