Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video And Cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hi all, im after some advice really. im looking at upgrading my cpu and graphics card as they are getting old. got a amd 3200+ and a 6600 SLi.
I was looking at getting a AMD 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core CPU Socket 939. my mobo is a skt 939 so im not looking to change that really also with the graphi cscard ive seen the GeForce 7900 GS. What are peoples views on these 2?
Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

That is an excellent graphics card, that will play most modern games on high settings, with a decent resolution.

You should check your motherboard specifications to see if it supports dual core processors. Even though a motherboard has the same FSB, and socket, it may not be able to use newer processors such as dual cores.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

I agree with Sterling. make sure your motherboard and BIOS will support it (Recently I updated my BIOS to support both nVidia cards and Dual Core CPUs). The best way to do this is to check with your Motherboard manufacturer. also check into the 8k series of nvidia cards for that kinda money (perhaps an 8600 model)

Posted Image

#4 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

yeah my mobo is says x2 ready, just harder to find the dual core skt 939 cpu's here. ive been reading reviews about the graphics card and tests and it does seem good. may have a look at the 8600 too.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:52 AM

AMD is phasing out the S939 in favor of the AM2, finding processors may be problematic. As for videocards, keep in mind that almost anything in the 8-series except the 640MB 8800GTS card and higher won't run DirectX10 games very effectively. They will, however, run older DirectX9 games very quickly. If you can find a good deal on an 8800, go with that if you can.

3939.png

#6 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

ive just looked at different 8600's and 8800's. heres a couple ive looked at

Card 1

Card 2

Card 3

Card 4

Card 5

Card 6

Card 7

any options on these at all? quiet a few then actually lol

Edited by madnlooney, 09 August 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

I'm not that familiar with U.K. computer stores, however at Overclockers UK, there is an eVGA GeForce 8800 card that's a little more expensive than some of your other options. It does give you more for your money however, it's out of stock. You may be able to find it elsewhere at a better price.

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

3939.png

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

The 8800GTS is worth every penny if you're a gamer, especially the 640MB version, new games are going to love that VRAM.
If you're more a casual gamer I'd look at the 8600 line.
Posted Image

#9 madnlooney

madnlooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

I think the eVGA is abit out of my price tbh. nice card tho. but looking around ive found the same one for 195.99 again out of stock tho (think this may be a miss price). i think i might save for this one. Whats the main difference between the normal one and overclocked? to me it just means the overclocked comes overclocked right. i wouldnt be looking to overclock the gfx card so would getting the overclocked version be better for me

eVGA 640

Edited by madnlooney, 09 August 2007 - 03:39 PM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

You're right, the one that's OC'd is already overclocked from the factory. Another good card maker is Asus. However, their cards can be expensive. I searched the website in your last post and microdirect had one about 50 pounds more expensive than the eVGA and it too was sold out. I did some searching and found one at Overclockers UK for the same price. That website is running a special on the 8800GTS 640MB that's in stock for roughly the same price as sold out eVGA card.

Leadtek GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users