Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Vista Ult Restore To A Larger Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jjthenovice

jjthenovice

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

I'm replacing my 120 gig drive with a 160 gig. I have Vista Ultimate. I've made a image backup using Vista. What will happen when I restore it to a larger drive? Will it expand to the 160? If not can I expaned the partition to full 160? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

Partition the drive first, then use the PC Restore tool and don't let it format the drive. See this link for more details: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-complete-pc-restore/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:36 AM

Is this an OEM PC? this may be important in the terms of restore process. also, how old is your hardware? I ask this because, although most new PC's come with Vista, that doesn't mean that your SATA harddrive will be handled as an IDE hard drive.

SATA drives will still require the SATA Driver for Vista to properly recognize the drives. Many motherboards also have the capability to emulate IDE in the abscence of SATA or for compatibility of older OS's.

The option you choose will depend heavily upon the manufacturer of the computer, the motherboard, and you knowledge of PC Hardware. Help is always available here though.

If you need to load a SATA Driver. you Need to know how to get it. That being Said, did you get this PC?

Further, it is my understanding that The backup will use all of the space available on your new Hard drive. Vista simply continues the NTFS file System to include the complete drive.

Someone may want to correct me on that last part as I'm unaware if Vista has an option to select only the space required for the restore process. Knowing M$ it is probably the prior; the backup is inclusive of the entire new drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

It's my impression that Vista will restore the drive depending on how you select the restore options. If you select a format and restore - it will format the drive to the partition size of the original drive. If you elect not to format (and have formatted with another tool) - then it'll utilize the entire drive as you have previously formatted it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

I'm planning some testing of features in Vista Business next week, one of which will include this process. I'll post my findings when I do this, now I just have to have a different sized HDD. Scratch that. I'll use two dissimilar Partitions on seperate drives and that will still give an accurate outcome.

#6 jjthenovice

jjthenovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

I just finished upgrading my A105-S4074 Toshiba from a 120 to a Seagate momentus.2 7200 rpm 160 gig. Here's the answers. The restore created an image of 120 gig for drive. It did not expand it to the 160. I had partitioned the full drive and formated it before I started. When restoring started, there was a dialog box saying to the effect that it was going to partition and format and all data would be destroyed. This appeared as an option with a check box, but it was greyed out so I had to let it do it's thing. When finished I just went to disk management and extended it to the full size. Toshiba does add a hidden partition with some tools on it that comes after the primary partion. I had to delete it to extend the primary partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users