Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nod32 - Oem Version Or Retail Version?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

Is there a difference? I am going to buy this anti-virus software, and Newegg sells both an OEM and a Retail version. Can't tell any difference from Newegg's site, but thought I'd ask here.

Also, Micro Center is selling the OEM version, but it's more expensive than on Newegg currently.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

why not try a free one from here
i use avg never had a problem :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 Woody

Woody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

why not try a free one from here
i use avg never had a problem :flowers:

I've perused that link many times, and I guess after the reading and on-line research I've done, NOD32 seems to be the best. If I have to pay for it, then so be it. Just need to know if it's worth the extra $10 to buy the "Retail" version from newegg instead of the "OEM" version...

Appreciate your thoughts and efforts to keep me from spending money... I like how you think! :thumbsup:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

OEM, means that the machine manufacturer that 'allegedly' installed the NOD32, is your first point of contact for support. With the retail version you will get support straight from the developer. Is unfettered support worth the extra 10 bucks?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Woody

Woody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

OEM, means that the machine manufacturer that 'allegedly' installed the NOD32, is your first point of contact for support. With the retail version you will get support straight from the developer. Is unfettered support worth the extra 10 bucks?

Without knowing how good their support really is, I would say it is worth the extra $10.

#6 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

This might give you some guidance.
Regards

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/difference-between-oem-academic-full-versions/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users