Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Fw Corrupts Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 naturefreak

naturefreak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

I'm using the security package that comes free with ATT/Yahoo's DSL internet service (by Computer Associates) which includes a spyware scanner, active anti-virus + scanner, pop-up blocker, and e-mail protection, all automatically updated daily.

I recently tried to install Comodo FW (free FW only), but it somehow corrupts my IP address in ip config, shutting off my internet access. This happens during every reboot (+ perhaps possibly at other times?). I then have to turn off the Comodo and turn on the wimpy MS FW (which I have off when the Comodo is on), reset the DSL modem, and search the IP address in IE to get me back on-line. It's not a question of something getting blocked by the Comodo FW, it's some kind of a software glitch. Any idea what's wrong here and how to fix it?

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: I also installed the following stand-alone tools on my desktop about the same time as the Comodo: SuperAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware (real-time scanning turned off on both), HijackThis, Spybot, and McAfee Stinger. However, turning off the Comodo seems to solve the problem so I don't THINK they are involved.

FYI: Switching to Zone Alarm isn't an option. I had been using Zone Alarm (free FW only) and updating it regularly for years with no problem. But a few months ago it would not allow me to install its most recent update due to conflict with the ATT/Yahoo CA security software (it told me I must delete all other security software before installing the update). I had to uninstall it due to this compatibility problem and for the moment I'm only using the wimpy Windows XP FW.

I would greatly appreciate your expert help on this.

THANKS,

Naturefreak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

Does your ISP's security package come with a firewall and maybe you don't know it? I have a similar security suite with my ISP and it does come with a firewall.

#3 cor3

cor3

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

i have the same problem
but i use avg free instead of my isps anti virus stuff

#4 cor3

cor3

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

bumping this up...

#5 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

FYI, there isn't a firewall feature in the Yahoo DSL security package. I used it for awhile, too. Did you do the following when installing Comodo?

1. Uninstall your Zone Alarm with any and all available ZA removal tools? (I know nothing about ZA but do use Comodo)
2. Reboot
3. Turn off the Windows Firewall service before beginning?
4. Reboot
5. Turn off all realtime protection software (Antivirus, antispyware, etc before the installation?\
6. Install fresh donwloaded copy of Comodo
7. Let Comodo "Scan for all known Applications" after the install
8. Reboot
9. Be sure the Windows firewall service is still "off" after the installation (have heard of rare cases of CFP not doing it during installation)

If you did all those things, I'd suggest bouncing this problem off the good folks over on the Comodo forums. They're very fast & helpful.

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=profile

If not, try redoing the entire process from step 1 above. Has always worked for me installing or reinstalling Comodo. My signature indicates what I run realtime with absolutely no CFP conflicts EVER. I also use as on-demand scanners SuperAntispyware & Ewido 4.0 (refuse to use AVG AS any longer & went back a version!).

Edited by buttoni, 14 August 2007 - 09:34 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users