Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atapi Timeout Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

Recently my computer has been crashing with a BSOD, and after I reboot I check the Error Logs and it says that for about an hour before there were various ATAPI errors and warnings saying that there was an error during a paging operation. This happened to me about a year and a half ago and I thought I fixed it by doing a clean install of windows, which seemed to fix it, but i think it's the same problem that's giving me issues now.

I have Compaq Presario R3000 with WinXP Professional with SP2 and the computer and hard drive are almost 3 years old. I don't know if the hard drive just may be going but it was working fine and is now hard to use because it will boot up slowly, work slowly and then crash unexpectedly.

After a recent crash the computer will also freeze after displaying the "COMPAQ" BIOS screen (first thing you see when you turn it on) and I have to push F1 to get it to continue to boot up.

I am not at the computer at the moment so I can't give you the exact error number but i know that it says, "atapi timeout error."

I will provide the exact numbers later or whatever you may need to know exactly what the problem is.

Im just really hoping that it's not a hardware/HDD issue because im at a military technical school and cannot get one quickly, but i'll have to buy a external HDD to backup my files if there's any chance i might lose the HDD completely, but hopefully there's a quick fix!

Thanks for your help! I love this site!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

Alright, here are the error codes.

I've gotten:
0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x889b2c30, 0x889b2da4, 0x805fa160)

0x0000007a (0xc02e9d50, 0xc000000e, 0xba75444b, 0x34484860)

0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x88b5fda0, 0x88b5ff14, 0x805fa160)

0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x88a72020, 0x88a72194, 0x805fa160)

This is the exact wording for the two errors i keep getting:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

and

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

I found two things that relate exactly to your issue:

For Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment (PATA) hard disks, configure your disk drive as master only. For Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) hard disks, connect the hard disk cable to a master channel SATA connector on the motherboard.

STOP Messages 0x00000077 and 0x0000007A are related kernel traps that are caused when the operating system tries to load a page into memory from the paging file on the hard disk, but cannot access the page because of either a software or hardware failure.

I would recommend that you get an immediate backup of your files in case the hard drive fails.

Here is a link to the hard drive diagram: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00057184.pdf

A possible quick fix would be to ensure that your hard drive has the jumper set to master, if it is set to master, it sounds to me like the hard drive is failing.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

I have never touched the Slave/Master position switch, so that is defintely not the problem. I've recieved a few errors about out of date firmware. The firmware of my HDD is from 2001 but i don't know exactly how to update this or where I can get newer firmware. By the way, my HDD is a Toshiba MK4025GAS. I do think that the hard drive might be failing, and im going to back up as many as my files I can fit onto my Ipod.

I seem to receive the atapi errors in clumps the span about an hour and each error is about two minutes apart.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

make sure you rule out power or heat issues and any cooling fan is clean
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

I have a program on my computer that measures the temp of the HDD and the Comp, and they are relatively low. I clean out the fans often, too

i don't think that's the problem

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

Another thought, on some hps and compaqs, there is a drive diagnostics utility built in to the BIOS. F2 to access the bios, 2nd menu from the right.

#8 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:12 AM

How would I use this drive diagnostic utility to help me out?

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:28 AM

If your laptop has it, it will let you run basic diagnostics on the hard drive, if the drive fails to pass, you will know the hard drive is failing.

The F1 key to continue on startup is a smart failure(problem with hdd) or the clock battery has failed.

#10 thesweetlycool

thesweetlycool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:29 AM

I have also started to recieve this error:

The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

any ideas?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:29 AM

I went thru a lot of web pages to find this one

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/DiagnoseXP.html

according to it you can use the "Toshiba does not offer a diagnostic utility for their Harddrives. The Hitachi (IBM) Diagnostic can be used to test these drives."

Just to be safe I would back up non replacable data ASAP
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 Pantanger

Pantanger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:21 AM

Thansk for your helop so far on this. My computer seems to do the same thing. It began around the time I installed iTune update and then everytime I tried to import a CD with iTunes the computer crashed.

Now it completely freezes. I am runnign defrag at the moment but looks like I will need to get up to speed with this BIOS stuff? I think my poor computer overheated - mainly becuase the rubber legs at the bottom keep falling off and the retarded computer has its fans at the bottom!

Anyway - just wanted to say a big thanks as you've got me started looking into fixing it rather than just buying anew one. Is there a harddrive replacement I can buy? I hear the Toshiba MK402GAS(PM) has loads of problems although in fairness my computer is now nearly 4 years old.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

I've noticed no particular problems with one drive brand over another (with the major brands - Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Maxtor, Toshiba, etc). I've got a "hunch" that the Toshiba drives are just rebranded Fujitsu's - but have no proof of this. The Hitachi DFT works very well on most IDE drives, but I've had some issues with it on SATA drives. I prefer the Seagate SeaTools for testing SATA drives.

It is most likely that the drive is failing - although there can be other causes for this. The 3 things that I'd recommend doing (after the backup, of course) is to update the drive's firmware (if available), update the motherboard/chipset drivers - and maybe (and this is a long shot) update the BIOS. But there's no guarantee that these steps will fix the problem - and they definitely won't fix it if the drive is failing (which is the most likely thing).

Reason for edit: 'nother brain cramp - left out the DFT/SeaTools stuff.

Edited by usasma, 12 October 2007 - 07:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users