Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to install win98se after wiping hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mackd

mackd

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:48 PM

:thumbsup: i used killdisk to wipe hard drive. using the boot disk i have i get to where you put d win98 in and nothen happens at that point. would someone send me a boot disk that will finish the job? thanks, Mack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hi mack

D: is not your CD Drive if you are using a boot disk made with Win98. It pushes it back to E: cause it makes a ramdrive. So you would use E:\setup in that situation.

Post back if this helps.

Edited by Leurgy, 31 January 2005 - 04:59 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

Hi mackd.
When you want to do fresh install, you have to run bootdisk, and state that you want to boot from CD ROM.
Than you have to delete all partititons and create new one. (fdisk) Once that is done, you'll be able to start up from Windows CD. You can download bootdisk here
Hope that'll help.

Edited by Notorious, 31 January 2005 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

Aww c'mon notorious, you don't have to Fdisk and delete all the partritions. Don't cornfuse the guy.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 mackd

mackd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:12 PM

hi LEURGY,i typed in e:setup and finaily got win98 to come up , but i cannot get nothen but bad commands after that. i tryed copy *.* /cabs , that does't work. would you type the rest out and send it? i would really appreciate it. thanks, Mack

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:19 AM

All you have to do is run setup and 98 will install. If you want the cab files on your hard drive then you can do the following (press enter after each line):

C:
cd windows
md options
cd options
md cabs
cd cabs
copy E:\*.* C:\windows\options\cabs

That will put the 98 CD on your hard drive and you can install it from there.

C:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe

#7 mackd

mackd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

hi Luegry,all i could type was c: ,when i typed cd windows it saidinvalid media type reading drive c . do i leave the cd in all the time ? or do i put it in at a certain time?

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

What are you using for a boot disk?

That error means you need to format the hard drive. Did you already do an fdisk? If you did then boot with the boot disk and do format C: /u. Then do the dos commands from the other post.

#9 mackd

mackd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:28 PM

i used killdisk and it tells me there is no operating system when i boot without any disk.and when i go through the procedures with boot disk it says i have a particion . everything is fine up to copy, then it will not except . this is with your first post not the last.there is alot of boot disks on boot disk.com. could you tell me which one i should try?i donot see one with cd rom drives.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

bootdisk

I think they all have drivers for the CD drive. Get the windows98se custom no ramdrive. You do the download and put a floppy in the drive and open the program and it makes your bootdisk. When you boot with that it makes your CD drive letter R: for some reason.

Boot with that. Read this about partitioning and formating. Make sure you have an active partition. Read this about fdisk.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

According to the Killdisk folks, you must use Fdisk or another partition utility to make a new partition before you can use your hard drive again. Then you must format the partition. Then you can install the operating system. Here's the link:
Killdisk Link
Scroll to the bottom of the page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users