Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:47 PM

Many people are unaware that their Internet Service Provider (ISP) provides a secure email address. This is typically one address with dialup and up to seven or eight with broadband or hi-speed.

Sick of spam? Sick of hotmail or yahoo?

Be free.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

You are most likely correct in thinking that many people may not know that most ISPs offer, as part of their subscription, generous Email boxes, often with POP access, spamguards, and antivirus scanning. Depending on the ISP, these could be better than the free email boxes from Hotmail or Yahoo, just because of the POP feature. These are, however, usually dependent on your continued payments to the ISP, so it is useful to have at least one Email address that is independent and web-based, or simply as throw-away addresses.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:17 AM

From personal experience, isp provided mailboxes tend to be up and down, service-wise and usually just get full up with junk sent from the isp itself.

mind you, it could just be that my isp's have sucked :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:43 AM

Your right on the money with the free email addresses jgweed. I have two yahoo ones and a hotmail, in addition to the two I have with my ISP.

If I need to supply an email address to download something or enter a contest or whatever I give one of the yahoo ones. The ones from my isp are only given to friends and relatives and are used for work related purposes. The happy result is that I don't get any spam with my two primary addresses. About once a month I check the other three and usually end up deleting everything in there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users