Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newby with a problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OzProj

OzProj

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hi folks, Iím a newby to this site. The concept of people volunteering their time and expertise to help others is something that gives me faith that there is still a lot of goodness in this world. Three hearty cheers of thanks to all you good people.

I have a big problem. In December my start page got hi-jacked to http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm. Four links were also added to my Favorites list. These were FREE HIDDEN SPY CAMS WORLD, FREE SPY CAM, FREE WEB CAMS CHATS, and GET THIS 4 FREE. I tried changing my start page back to the one I use and deleting these links from my Favorites list, but they always returned when I booted up my computer. At the time I was using Trend Micro Anti-Virus suite and Ad-Aware. Neither of them found anything on my computer.

My computer started doing all the usual strange things Ė running slow; taking up to a minute to open a photo file; not shutting down properly; and I still canít even open Photoshop. So searched the net and found a review of some anti-spyware software and downloaded a couple of free spyware scans to check them out. The first was Spyware Elininator. It came highly recommended, but after waiting for more than 3 hours for the scan to finish, I gave up! Next I tried Spyware Doctor, and the 4 minute scan impressed me, so I bought the software. Then I downloaded Spybot Ė Search and Destroy, and also CWShredder. Then things started to get interesting.

CWShredder found nothing. Spybot found something called Coolwwwsearch.AlfaSearch, and deleted, but it always returned on start up. Spyware Doctor found a few odd cookies and other bits and pieces and deleted them, but it didnít find that Coolwwwsearch.AlfaSearch. In fact the only thing it ever found was IEPlugin, which it deleted, but that too always returned on start up. So I used the Malware Detective tool, which scanned my computer and sent a report to the Spyware Doctor people. They replied by sending me an email with a link. They asked me to click on the link and then download a program (which I guess they thought might help me). I clicked on the link and it took me to their home page, but there was nothing there for me to download Ė certainly I couldnít find anything relating to what they had suggested I download. Over the next week I emailed them four times asking for more specific directions. Their silence was deafening. They ignored me completely, and Iíve never received a reply. So much for customer service!

I continued to check daily for updates on Spyware Doctor and Spybot S&D, and things got more interesting. There was a couple more updates for Spyware Doctor. After downloading them, immunizing, and rebooting, I did a full system scan andÖÖthe program crashed completely after scanning 72% of my computer. Another update, and this time it hit a brick wall at 66%, although it continued to run at a snailís pace. Spybot continued to find Coolwwwsearch.AlfaSearch every time I ran a scan, but it would always return on start up. I downloaded the next update from Spybot S&D, but all of a sudden it no longer found Coolwwwsearch.AlfaSearch. In fact it didnít find anything. And now Spybot wonít even open at all.

By the way, I am running Windows 98.

So folks, Iíve still got this problem. Iíve tried to find a solution on my own, and failed. Iím no wiz with computers, so while I will give much thanks and praise to anyone who is willing to offer me some help, please try to be exceptionally patient with my lack of technical ability. Oh, one more thing. I live in Australia, and I work odd hours, so I may not be able to reply to this string immediately, but I WILL reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:33 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

Sorry to hear your computer is fouled up,
and by your accurate description, it is.

In a case like yours, the fastest,
surest method to get to the bottom of the problem
is to supply the information Hijack This! 1.99
provides.

Once we see the log report, we can comment
on what it finds.

It was designed to enumerate.
Point out in specific manner areas of
your windows operating system that are
frequently exploited by malware.

Please read this
How-to Tutorial and post as recommended. :thumbsup:

Don't hesitate to post anytime,
and our replies might take some time also.

Edited by phawgg, 31 January 2005 - 04:35 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 pctools

pctools

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

Hi OzProj,

If you have a problem with Spyware Doctor, you can also contact technical support for assistance at this link:

http://www.pctools.com/support/submit.php?...port&guide=site

Thanks

PC Tools

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:19 PM

Thanks, pctools, product support is always appreciated.

Changes in the malware climate demand so much
of anti-spyware programs like Spyware Doctor and the others.

Considering the variables on individual PC's,
and the different versions of Windows,
it's a wonder they continue to work as well as they
do among each other and all of that.

Thanks again for the link. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

I have the PC tools Cd and find it excellent. I also agree the hijack program should solve the problem. You could (if careful) edit the registry and remove coolsearch and the other programs which have installed themselves on your pc. another browser hijacker is mywebsearch and it changes the IE start up to about:blank.
the problems u have are all fixable...don't worry

Edited by megaman, 01 February 2005 - 06:15 PM.

The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#6 OzProj

OzProj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hi folks, Iím finally back! My apologies for the long delay but I have been working very long hours at my job all week and I was starting to wonder if I would ever make it back here.

To phawgg and megaman, I thank you both for your kind words of encouragement and your help.

To pctools, I thank you for the link to the Spyware Doctor technical support, but I think you might agree that itís ironic that after becoming a customer of PC Tools, and after sending 4 emails to them and getting no reply, I have to get a link to their technical support from somebody elseís website!

But whatever, I am humbly grateful that there are friendly people out there who are willing to give their time to help me.

I printed out the entire Hijack This! tutorial, and after some initial screw-ups (on my part) I downloaded the program. The log report is below.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 9:35:58, on 3/02/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SA3DSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PLAXO\2.0.2.3\INSTALLSTUB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\JCDTQBB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FIRETRUST\MAILWASHER PRO\MAILWASHER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\PCCIOMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\PCCPFW.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\TMPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\PCCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\PCCGUIDE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\INTERNET SECURITY\TMOAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mssearch4u.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://homesite.service.ozemail.com.au
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mssearch4u.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\INETDATA\SERVICES.EXE
O2 - BHO: Class - {6AA38BCF-874D-EF8C-FA20-292FBD823515} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINJE.DLL (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDSG.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCIOMON.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCCIOMON.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iesearch.exe] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iesearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Aureal A3D Interactive Audio] sa3dsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PCCIOMON.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCCIOMON.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PccPfw] c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [tmproxy] c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.0.2.3\InstallStub.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sjfwgok] c:\windows\jcdtqbb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE" /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.com/down/release/PlaxoInstall.cab
O21 - SSODL: ss - {C65DDB00-E6AD-11D8-8126-444553540000} - dssa.dll (file missing)

#7 raegstar

raegstar

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

try downloading a thingy asaware promgram i use called Ad-aware SE personal
i searched it on www.download.com and dound it its free two

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:22 AM

Print out these instructions and then close all windows including Internet Explorer.

Then I want you to fix some of those entries. Please do the following:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Run Hijackthis again, click scan, and Put a checkmark next to each of these. Then click the Fix button:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mssearch4u.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mssearch4u.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mssearch4u.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\INETDATA\SERVICES.EXE
O2 - BHO: Class - {6AA38BCF-874D-EF8C-FA20-292FBD823515} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINJE.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iesearch.exe] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iesearch.exe
O21 - SSODL: ss - {C65DDB00-E6AD-11D8-8126-444553540000} - dssa.dll (file missing

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode

Then delete these files or directories (Do not be concerned if they do not exist)

C:\WINDOWS\INETDATA\SERVICES.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iesearch.exe
c:\windows\jcdtqbb.exe

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode and post a new log.

#9 OzProj

OzProj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:22 PM

Many many thanks Grinler!! I followed your instructions and when I had finished them I checked a few things out. My computer now seems to be back to itís old self, operating normally. The bugs appear to be gone and I can open any program or file quickly. After more than two months of living with this damned bug I feel I am back in the land of the living again!

I am posting another Hijack This log below so you can check it out.

Scan saved at 11:19:35, on 15/02/05

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PLAXO\2.1.0.80\INSTALLSTUB.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://homesite.service.ozemail.com.au
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDSG.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {6AA38BCF-874D-EF8C-FA20-292FBD823515} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCIOMON.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCCIOMON.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCClient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TMOAgent.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PCCIOMON.exe] "c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PCCIOMON.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [PccPfw] c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\PccPfw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [tmproxy] c:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\tmproxy.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.1.0.80\InstallStub.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE" /Q
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.com/down/release/PlaxoInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:02 PM

We are almost there!

Print out these instructions and then close all windows including Internet Explorer.

Then I want you to fix some of those entries. Please do the following:

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Run Hijackthis again, click scan, and Put a checkmark next to each of these. Then click the Fix button:

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode

Then delete these files or directories (Do not be concerned if they do not exist)

c:\windows\jcdtqbb.exe

Reboot your computer to go back to normal mode and post a new log.

#11 OzProj

OzProj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:47 PM

Many thanks again Grinler. I have completed your instructions and below is the HijackThis logfile.

Scan saved at 1:19:44, on 16/02/05

Running processes:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Plaxo\2.1.0.80\InstallStub.exe -a
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse...pDownloader.cab

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

Fix this:

and post a last log

#13 OzProj

OzProj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:22 PM

Thanks agaion Grinler, hereís the logfile.

Scan saved at 10:12:37, on 17/02/05

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:45 PM

Log looks clean...great job!

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and reenable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Commercial Spyware Removal/Protection Programs - If you feel more comfortable installing a commercial Spyware removal program then we recommend WebRoot's Spysweeper or Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Professional. There are many commercial products on the market, but unfortunately most are misleading and substandard. Both of the products we recommend here are proven to be excellent products and a worthy addition to the arsenal of software protecting your computer.

Spysweeper Product Information
    Ad-Aware Pro Production Information

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users