Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed Up Computer In Services

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OddsMasterAA

OddsMasterAA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:00 AM

I recently went on a web site looking to speed up my computer a bit by shutting off some services that I thought I wouldn't need. I made a big mistake!

My taskbar is completely gone now, I can't copy or paste anymore, I can't move any icons, I can't burn cd's and my audio is completely gone. My computer says I have no audio device?! Everything is just completely screwed up now. I also can't turn on the services again. The start, stop, enable, disable buttons are blanked out so I can't click them, I can't look at the properties of any service anymore either. Also, my system restore is off now. Is there any way to set the services back to default or something? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:06 AM

Try Kelly's Korner.

Restore the Task Bar to Default Settings - #99 on the left.

As this is a registry edit you should backup the registry first.

How To Back Up The Registry
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 OddsMasterAA

OddsMasterAA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for responding Budapest. I did the registry fix and I have a taskbar, but it's down and I can't move it. So, I don't see the start button or clock or anything. But, I can right click and get into task manager.

Thank you for helping

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:38 AM

In the Task Manager go File > New Task and type "msconfig.exe", then click on the Services tab and you can start the services you previously turned off.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

Another Kelly's Korner fix you can try:

Restore Services to Default - #310 on the left.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users