Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'digital Dolly' And Other Partition Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Borka

Borka

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

I burned the Digital Dolly sofware into a cd to change the size of one of my partitions. Anyways not only I couldn't change the size, I also got stuck with the cd boot I can't access my windows xp. I don't know how to reverse it so I could boot my regular xp.

The partition contains only my windows xp, and it has 5gb, which is totally not enough with the service packs and security patches, and
that's why I used digital dolly in the first place.

When I reboot it writes: "Unmounting loopback filesystems: umount: /data: device is busy [FAILED]" and "Detaching loopback device /dev/loop0: ioctl : LOOP_CLR_FD: Device or resource busy [FAILED]" and "INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel" and then it just stops, the blinker bar is still on but I can't write anything.

And just my luck recently I threw away all my floppies, so I can't do a recovery with a windows cd.

So I'm kinda stuck here.

Thank you ahead of time for any help or advice.

Borka

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

Are you unable to boot from the Windows CD? Depending on the system, there will be a key combination that will allow you to specify the boot device (Hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy, etc). If you're able to boot from the Windows CD, then you can do a repair install of XP with these directions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Borka

Borka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thx John I tried that but after the repair the pc would boot from the cd, even though I changed the BIOS to boot froom the hard-drive. And when I take the xp setup CD and the Digital Dolly cd, on start the pc makes a strong noise and it asks for a system disk.
It writes: "verifying DMI Pool Data...........
Boot from CD :
Boot from CD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Is there a way I could start windows with my current settings?

Borka

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

There's an issue here that's preventing you from booting from the CD. Try checking the connections to the CD drive to see if anything has worked loose. Try a disk cleaner to clean the CD drive. Try another CD drive in it's place (pay particular attention to the jumper settings) and also try another cable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Borka

Borka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

I formated my drive and installed a fresh windows xp. Now all I need is a partition software that works in the windows...
I ain't playing with dos or cd booting again.

P.S.
Before formatting I tried to run a repair with a different xp cd, with the same result.
It was because I booted from digital dolly, which is linux based, in my xp dos that prevented me
from booting from my hard drive, regardless of what I did with my BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users