Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 happz

happz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hello everyone! I recently set up a home network between three computers, two wireless, one wired. It works, but the only problem I have is I can only access either of the other computers when both are running. If only one is running, it does not appear on the network. Is this normal? Is there any way to fix it so that I can access one computer without having the other running? I contacted Linksys and they suggested a firmware update, but I'm not sure if that will solve my issuee.This question may sound confusing, if so, I apologize. Thank you to all/any who reply in advance!

Happz :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

Are you saying that you must have all three computers turned on to access any one of them? If a computer is turned off it should not appear on the network, and will not be accessible.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 happz

happz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:28 PM

I must have all three on to access any one of them.

But if I shut one off after having all 3 connect to the network, I can still access the one that's still on... I am so confused. :thumbsup:

Edited by happz, 07 August 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#4 happz

happz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Could it be because my wired computer's workgroup name is 'workgroup' while the other two computers' workgroup names are 'mshome'? If this is the reason for the issue, how do I change the workgroup name? :thumbsup:

Well, I tried changing the workgroup name... but
I still can't see either of the other 2 computers unless they're both on... and then when I turned them on, the wired computer's workgroup name changed back to 'workgroup' on the network and sharing center. This just keeps getting more and more confusing.

Edited by happz, 08 August 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:45 AM

If a computer is not turned on, it will not be accessible.

To change the network ID, click start, right click on my computer, click properties, click the computer name tab, click the computer name changes button, the lower space should have a green dot and say MSHOME or WORKGROUP. Retype the correct name for your home network in, and then click ok. then in the system properties window, click apply and then ok. The machine should now want you to restart. Go ahead and restart. When the computer starts you should be in the correct workgroup.

#6 happz

happz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:56 AM

I did that... and it didn't change anything. I still had to have all of them turned on to access any of them from this computer. I know if it's turned off I will not be able to access that computer. The problem I'm having is when just one of my other computers is on, I cannot access it. I must have all three of the grouped computers on to access either one of them. I'll call my computers A B and C to try to eliminate confusion (as best I can, lol)

For the sake of discussion....

I am currently on computer A, and computer B is turned on. Computer C is turned off. Computer B will not show up in the network even though it is turned on. If I then turn on computer C, both computer B and C will then show up in my network, and I can access them fine. If I then shut off computer C, it will still be shown in my network, though I can't access it (I understand why I can't access it), and I can still access computer B fine.

Confusing, eh?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:57 AM

weird. fire up the networking wizard on one of the computers, run it, and when it gets to the point of creating the disc, do that and the run the disc on the other two computers.

#8 happz

happz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

the problem with that is, the wired computer uses Vista and the other two use XP, so I don't know if it would work. Plus when I tried to run it with the disk on one of them, nothing happened. Is there a way to remove one of the other two computers from the network? Because one of them is older anyways and doesn't have much that I'm interested in sharing between the other two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users