Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skeeter395

skeeter395

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

I have 2 computers working on a network now with a 2wire modem/router that I got from my ISP. I have one computer running wirelessly and the other wired. When both computers are on the net at the same time they both run slow. Now I was told that from a guy at a local electronic store that the 2wire router/modem that I got is crap and I should just go with a standalone modem and a router. Is this true does a router just split the connection and gives half to one computer and half to the other or is my modem/router crap?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:52 PM

The speed of the downloads depend on the total bandwidth that you have, not on the Modem/Router combination. No router that I have seen splits the connection, it normally would give the bandwidth based on what each computer asks for, based on the max connection speed. and the max bandwidth you are paying for. So, If the wireless is 54 Mbps, and the wire is 100Mbps, but your connection is only 2 Mbps, either computer could only get the max if the other is not being used. To me it sounds like the store just wants to sell you a modem and a router. I would be unwilling to make any comments on the combo unit without knowing what it is.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

thanks for the fast reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic