Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install - Cpu Too Busy Doing Simple Tasks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MetaPhiz47

MetaPhiz47

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Clean install from scratch of Windows XP Pro. Running slooooow. The CPU is busy doing the simplest things. There is 40% to 60% CPU activity for the Task Manager itself. Idle time is only 20 to 30%.

Nvidia mobo with an AMD 2400 CPU (both about 4 years old). New Nvidia graphics card. I have swapped memory and disk drives then reloaded WinXP Pro each time, and it usually hangs up during install or installs incompletely (like no desktop).

When I do get it to finish installation, then I see what I described above.

I'm thinking the CPU is defective. Any similar experience? Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

I would go to the manufacturers web site of your hdd and download their diagnostic tool and run it to see what condition you hdd is in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

to tell you the truth, I would buy a new CPU, it doesn't have to be anything special...an intel P4, 60 bucks or something. That is still better than the 2400

Other than that, I think you have a corrupt XP CD. I used to have incomplete installs.
but before you get a new CPU (if you will, or whatever), get ahold of a different winXP CD. You don't have to worry about the CD being illegal, microsoft allows for this by changing the product key to your own when the CD is used and installed.

good luck with the new install, let us know if any more questions
----- eXile officer XilStorm, checking in -----

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

I doubt it's the cd, but possible I guess, bad power supply can cause this too, even a bad optical drive besides for the cpu.

If you do try another cd, even as a test, and find it's bad try to use one that's the same version as yours so your numbers will work.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

Have you updated the drivers also? Do you have a SATA hard drive? Have you checked Device Manager for any conflicts (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MetaPhiz47

MetaPhiz47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

OK, I feel stupid. At one point when I was desperate, I turned off the L1 & L2 cache in the bios. I turned them back on and it runs faster....

BUT the install had not created any icons on my desktop.

SO I tried to install WinXP again and then tried to install Win2K and both hung during reading the CD at about the same spot -- it read in a few drivers then froze at "Starting Windows Install." No disk access light, no CD activity for more than an hour. This is two different CDs and also a different CD reader.

John, I'm about ready for your solution --- blow it up.

I'll try replacing the CPU next.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

It's not your CPU, if it were you wouldn't be doing anything with it. Did you reformat the hdd before trying to install the OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

I have had the same problems with Win XP installs before, usually changing the Drive helps. Its not an OEM cd is it? If it is and you have changed anything in the computer it may have a problem with the new hardware.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

I have had the same problems with Win XP installs before, usually changing the Drive helps. Its not an OEM cd is it? If it is and you have changed anything in the computer it may have a problem with the new hardware.

That gives an error after the install, you have to call microsoft and give them a code over the phone to reenable windows. I've had to do this twice in the last month because of simple hardware changes. . .and a repair install! Why would I have to recertify windows after using their own repair install? Beats me.

Posted Image

#10 MetaPhiz47

MetaPhiz47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

I have swapped memory, CDROM drives, and hard drives. I guess I can try a third hard drive. The CD is store bought, WinXP Pro.

It hangs during the reading of setup files from the CD. The same point on the WinXP CD or the Win2K CD.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

I have an older nvidia card that does the same thing, drove me crazy several times in different computers till I figured it was a problem with the generic drivers in xp, the install will almost finish and then it won't reboot to the gui

have to pull the card put another in and finish the load, then put it back in and load newer drivers
Chewy

#12 MetaPhiz47

MetaPhiz47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

I have an older nvidia card that does the same thing, drove me crazy several times in different computers till I figured it was a problem with the generic drivers in xp, the install will almost finish and then it won't reboot to the gui

have to pull the card put another in and finish the load, then put it back in and load newer drivers

Veeeery Interesting. I remember past installs when I would start with a simple VGA card because I didn't have the new one ready yet... That just might work. Thanks, Chewy

#13 MetaPhiz47

MetaPhiz47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Problem solved by turning off APIC and ACPI in the BIOS.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

bios update if any available?
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users