Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"system" Process Using 50% Plus Of My Cpu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diamond5ds

diamond5ds

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

First of all, I want to clarify that the image name of the process is "System" and the user name is "SYSTEM" It is NOT the system idle process. I realize that the system idle process is just a placeholder for the leftover CPU space not in use, and that is NOT what this is about.

This process is always in the list, but it sporadically jumps up to 50, 70, even 90% completely lagging up anything I have going on. The problem seems to last for a few minutes, returns to normal, then shows back up again in 5-10 minutes on a fairly regular basis.

Steps I've taken to try to troubleshoot this myself:
1. Removed Mcaffee virus software because it uses a lot of memory, downloaded AVG 7.5, CCleaner, a-squared free, startup inspector, and HijackThis.
2. I ran diagnostics from all of those programs. It doesnt seem that anything was found, and the problem still remains.

I've searched through forums and have found numerous people experiencing the same problem. Nobody seems to have an answer. I would greatly appreciate any help with this! Let me know if you think a HijackThis report will help.

Using XP with SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

diamond5ds,

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users