Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"system" Process Using 50% Plus Of My Cpu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diamond5ds

diamond5ds

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

First of all, I want to clarify that the image name of the process is "System" and the user name is "SYSTEM" It is NOT the system idle process. I realize that the system idle process is just a placeholder for the leftover CPU space not in use, and that is NOT what this is about.

This process is always in the list, but it sporadically jumps up to 50, 70, even 90% completely lagging up anything I have going on. The problem seems to last for a few minutes, returns to normal, then shows back up again in 5-10 minutes on a fairly regular basis.

Steps I've taken to try to troubleshoot this myself:
1. Removed Mcaffee virus software because it uses a lot of memory, downloaded AVG 7.5, CCleaner, a-squared free, startup inspector, and HijackThis.
2. I ran diagnostics from all of those programs. It doesnt seem that anything was found, and the problem still remains.

I've searched through forums and have found numerous people experiencing the same problem. Nobody seems to have an answer. I would greatly appreciate any help with this! Let me know if you think a HijackThis report will help.

Using XP with SP2.

Edited by diamond5ds, 07 August 2007 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

A HijackThis log might help but you need to post it in the right forums, not here.

How long have you had your current Windows install? After 2 years or so of continuous use, Windows can get really laggy. What I do every couple of years is do a complete fresh Windows install. Back up everything that is important to you, get your Windows CD, and your ready to party. I would only suggest this to you as a last resort. Try uninstalling all unnecessary programs, deleting temp files, defragmenting your hard drive, and lastly a HijackThis log.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:23 AM

You may want to try this free utility to see what's running under the System process: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users