Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading To Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tiz

Tiz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hello.

I'm trying to install Windows XP on a separate partition of my hard drive, But I have a problem.

During the XP setup, I have to install the drivers for my sata drive by using a floppy disk. The setup asks to insert a floppy into drive A.

This computer doesn't, and never has had an internal floppy drive. I bought an external one, which works fine. In Vista, when I open up my computer, it lists two floppy drives.

Posted Image

This is where I'm stuck. Drive A is a device that is apparently internal, but I have no floppy drive, so I don't know why it is installed. Drive B is my external drive.

I tried uninstalling the non-existent drive in Vista, and when I plugged the external one back in, it assigned the letter A to it. But when I reboot, the other drive just comes back, with the letter A.

I need to know why Vista is recognizing the other floppy drive, and what I can do to stop it, so that the external one can use the letter A. During the XP setup, there doesn't appear to be a way to change the path of which it reads from. It only seems to want to read from drive A.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:12 AM

Well seem no one has had any ideas the only thing I can think of is to install a floppy drive into your PC and see if that solves the problem, you should be able to pick up one fairly cheap, if not for free.
MCP
MSDST

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I am surprised that I missed this, you need to disable the internal floppy in the BIOS. Even though your computer does not have a floppy drive, if the bios floppy is enabled, vista will detect the controller and assign a drive letter.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:29 AM

Thats it.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Tiz

Tiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

How do I do this? I had a quick look around the BIOS menu, but couldn't see anything too obvious. I'm no expert. :huh:

I'll have a look around on the internet in the meantime.

Edit: Ok, so I've managed to disable the floppy drive in BIOS. When I enter the XP setup, it says that no floppy drives are detected on this machine, even though the external one is plugged in.

Back in Vista, the internal floppy drive has gone, but the external one is still being assigned the letter B. Could this have something to do with the XP setup not recognizing the drive? Or will the external drive not work altogether?

I read that in Vista, driver letters can be reassigned under computer management, but this doesn't list any floppy drives.

Second edit: Ok, so I was browsing the internet for a solution to my problem and I came across a program called nLite. This program modifies the XP setup disk, allowing drivers to be added and components to be removed. It's a longshot, but it might just work.

I now need to find the drivers for my hard disk. The computer manufacturer should have supplied them, but didn't. The drive is a Maxtor 6 V200E0 SCSI (203.92 GB). I'm having trouble locating them, so I would appreciate help finding them.

Edited by Tiz, 10 August 2007 - 09:59 AM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

For both scsi and sata drives, you will not need a driver. You need the driver for the Controller. Another suggestion, why not download and make a set of boot floppies for XP?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users