Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixed Spyware, Now No Desktop Icons/folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 squidracerX

squidracerX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hello. i have read a few posts similiar to my problem, but none were exactly the same, so i am posting on my own topic. i run windows XP pro. I was infected with spyware last week. I used Ad Aware pro, spybot, AVG, CleanUp! and CounterSpy in safe mode to delete it. It worked, except i still had the annoying "Webbuyingassistant" that spybot would find and couldnt get rid of. i tried everything. Finally I ended up downloading: Combo Fix, CCleaner, superantispywarepro, and vundo cleaner or something. I ran those along with the others I already had on my system and it took care of the horrible pop up menace just fine. But that was the start of the problem. in using so many "cleaners" i do not know which one of them messed me up, but one of them did. Now windows boots normaly, i can see the background picture, click toolbar icons, go intro the start menu just like normal..... only there are NO DESKTOP FOLDERS OR ICONS. just the background. i cannot move a folder to the desktop, if I save something to the desktop it saves there but I cannot see it, (i have to browse folders to go find it) and I cannot right click the desktop. now i know the folders are still there and are not deleted, because if i "cntrl + alt + del" and go to "file/ new task" i can go and browse the desktop and all my stuff is there, and I can run it fine. I can run the internet fine. I can push the "windows key" +E and bring up the folder fine. Or "windows" + R to bring up Run. Nothing is broken at all except the missing desktop.

-Now if i click the "show desktop icon" in the toolbar i get an error saying "Restrictions" this operation has been cancelled do to restrictions in effect on this computer. See you administrator..... What the heck does that mean?
- I also ran all my spy checking stuff again to make sure I wasnt hit by something else. And they find nothing. So i assume i changes a directory or registry or something by accident. I am not a whiz when it comes to the internal workings of windows. But with all that deleting i bet something got trashed that shouldnt have.
-The one thing that did come up was in Spybot... it doesnt look like spyware but i dont know. It found "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-"numbers"...\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDesktop!=W=0 :thumbsup: WHAT IS THAT!?

from the "no desktop" part it looks like my villian. Do i need to replace that? is that a virus that is new? ONLY spybot found it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 squidracerX

squidracerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

Well I guess i solved it?

The solution was one of two things:
1. Either Spybot fixed that NoDesktop! problem or....
2. I had turned the Startup Selection in MSConfig to Normal, i usually use Selective Startup to stop annoying things like Quicktime from starting (i dont know any other way to disable those?), but for the Spyware war i was waging somewhere it said use Normal Startup. When all was clean I reverted back to Selective Startup, disabling a few of the anoying progs. I switched back to Normal and restarted.

So since I went back to Normal Startup AND did the Spybot scan at the same restart i cannot tell which fixed it, but one or the other did. :thumbsup: Thanks for reading this anyway!

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

Hi squidracerX

Welcome to BleepingComputer.

Glad to hear you fixed your problem. WinPatrol and SpyBot both have a Startup Tool function.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

I had turned the Startup Selection in MSConfig to Normal, i usually use Selective Startup to stop annoying things like Quicktime from starting...

MSConfig is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. Further, msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list. You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to a running service. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. As rowal5555 suggested, if you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled. Note: some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, then do a search on Google or at one of the following databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns or Starter by CodeStuff.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 squidracerX

squidracerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

:thumbsup: Oh thanks for the heads up! i will turn it back to normal boot and use the spybot tool. i didnt even know it was there. actually if i had come across it on my own i wouldn't have trusted that it would work that well, but if you guys say the spybot one works ill use that now instead, thanks for the advice! (and thansk for the website of the startup list, i had no idea what some of the things were so I didnt stop them from starting, i usually just stopped quicktime, real, my monitors "true color program" and stuff that i knew I didnt want :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users