Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Accept Password After Standby/hibernate Resume

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charger

Charger

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

I'm running XP home on an HP Pavilion ze2000 series laptop. I keep it password protected due to a nosey 4-year-old nephew of mine. Lately it's not accepting my password when I log in from standy/hibernation(not sure if it's just one or the other). It doesn't happen all the time. It's happened maybe 3 times in twice as many resumes.

Caps lock isn't on. No key is being held down. I just don't get it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I understand this is a 2007 thread, but I'm facing the same problem now. Every time I put the computer on standby and then come back and start it again, it asks for the password (which is how I want it, I don't want to remove the password), but it won't accept the password at all. I've entered it some 15 to 20 times at a stretch, making sure about the Caps and Num locks, and looking at the keyboard and typing each key slowly so that I'm not making any mistake, but nothing works, it just keeps giving the message that the password is wrong. Then when I restart, it immediately accepts the password. This has started just two days ago. :thumbsup:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

Is it a screensaver password?

#4 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Its the main XP login password, the one where the computer comes out of standby and asks for a password so that it can log in and show the desktop. I've disabled the screensaver entirely.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Do you even have a password for it? Why do you place your computer into hibernation mode?

#6 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

Try creating a new user and see if that one will let you log in after hibrenating. If so, your user profile may be the issue.

#7 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Link to the M$ user profile cleanup tool. Try giving it a run

#8 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Do you even have a password for it? Why do you place your computer into hibernation mode?

Hello cryptodan, thats a strange response: what's wrong with having a password for the account? People use it all the time, to prevent others accessing their account, and countless other reasons. And I've already mentioned that the problem occurs when the computer comes out of standby, not hibernation where everything's written to the HDD and the computer shuts down. And there's nothing with hibernating the PC as well.

@ tenz: I just got the User Hive Profile Cleanup Tool, will use it and see if it solves the problem. Thanks.

#9 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

It seems using the User Hive Cleanup Tool has solved the problem, although it is a bit early to say, since I've only tried it two to three times, and the first time it accepted the password when waking up from standby but then when I shut down the computer it stopped responding. But this hasn't happened after that. Thanks, tenz!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users