Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script For Changing First Two Octets Of Url Address...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

Good afternoon....

my users receive an email with a link in the email. This link (when clicked) brings them to an image hosting server, directly to a stored image.

The problem:

We recently changed our IP addresses on everything. The last two octets stayed the same, but the first two changed. Right now we are waiting on the support of the company that designed the image hosting software (where the link comes from) to fix the problem, however they are extremely slow, and I need to find a workaround if possible.

Request:

Is there a simple way to have the first two octets of the url changed when the user clicks the link, using a script or other method?

Thank you kindly for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

You don't even need a script. You should be able to do it in the hosts file. (assuming these are XP boxes). Of course, then you have to make the change to each machine.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/
The other option is router based, and then it depends on the type of router.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:35 AM

Thanks groovicus...I know about the hosts file...but the problem is the link...here is an example:

http://192.168.X.XX/c2s/doclinkxl/doclinkxl.jsp?idx=CLAIMS&query/LOCATION/low=:CLAI1O00124776

The underlined part will be different on every link. I need the 192.168 to change to 10.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users