Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Runs Everytime System Boots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 navsangeet_88foru

navsangeet_88foru

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

"CHKDSK E:" runs everytime my system boots. Further when I try to defragment E, it says,

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume E. Please run CHKDSK/F"

Although I don't see it in scheduled tasks, even after enabling "View hidden tasks" in Advanced menu. Also, I have that "ctfmon.exe" problem related to ctfloader and CoolWebSearch {Spybot S&D startup list (Paul Collin's startup list)}. Finally, taskbar freezes when I log in. Could these be related?

I had this problem earlier also. It disappeared when I formatted the volume, which now is not a viable option because of the large amount of data on that volume.

Help please. Thanks in advance.
Relativistic approach to solving a problem?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

CHECK DISK RUNS EVERY TIME BOOTUP

Click on the Start menu and open the run dialog.
2. Type "cmd" and return (without quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query <letter of drive that chkdsk keeps checking>" (for example, C:
4. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk <drive letter> /f /x"
If you get this below answer YES.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
6. After that finishes, repeat step 3.
7. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

Just FYI - at times the "dirty" flag on a volume will get stuck in the "dirty" state. If the volume is marked as "dirty" Windows will check it at every reboot.

I recommend the command chkdsk /f /r (which some say is redundant because the /r implies the /f) and rebooting to let it work it's magic. If it's still marked dirty, then the "solution" is to backup all of your data and format the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

Also see MS Article ID: 316506.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 navsangeet_88foru

navsangeet_88foru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

CHECK DISK RUNS EVERY TIME BOOTUP

Click on the Start menu and open the run dialog.
2. Type "cmd" and return (without quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query <letter of drive that chkdsk keeps checking>" (for example, C:
4. If the returned message indicates that the volume is dirty, go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk <drive letter> /f /x"
If you get this below answer YES.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
6. After that finishes, repeat step 3.
7. If the volume is no longer dirty, reboot and chkdsk should not reappear

Just FYI - at times the "dirty" flag on a volume will get stuck in the "dirty" state. If the volume is marked as "dirty" Windows will check it at every reboot.

I recommend the command chkdsk /f /r (which some say is redundant because the /r implies the /f) and rebooting to let it work it's magic. If it's still marked dirty, then the "solution" is to backup all of your data and format the drive.

Also see MS Article ID: 316506.

Thank you bicycle bill, usasma and quietman7 :inlove:
Thanks a lot guys :flowers:

But there is one thing. See, I actually ran CHKDSK/X/V/F/R :thumbsup: a couple of times before posting this problem here. After trying your methods (except formatting the volume), I ran CheckDisk through windows GUI (Right click volume > Properties > Tools....). Thats when the problem actually disappeared :cool:

I mean, are they not equivalent? :) I think they are. Isn't that weird? :trumpet:

Edited by navsangeet_88foru, 08 August 2007 - 11:59 AM.

Relativistic approach to solving a problem?
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

Dunno what you did, but "Nothing succeeds like success!" :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users