Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing An Lcd Monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gmangokevin

gmangokevin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

Hey, so I just have a few questions about purchasing a new monitor. I'm currently deciding between these two:

Monitor #1

Monitor #2

Now both of the monitors look pretty good... I think...

I think someone will come along and ask me what my main use for the monitor is for, let's just say I have gaming in mind (which I do, lol), but let's also say I want to watch movies and such, and that this monitor is for school as well (a super monitor, yay).

Well, now the questions:

What does the contrast ratio mean? Which one is better, 500:1 or 2000:1?
I've read somewhere that the lower the number, the better, ie. 400:1 would be the best, is this true?

What's the difference between a DVI Cable and a VGA Cable?

Which one would you prefer?

Which one is better and which one should I get?

I believe that might be all the questions I have for now, the only important question that I really want to know is the last one, except I think it'd be nice if I could learn the answers to the questions.

Well, thanks for taking the time to look and help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

What does the contrast ratio mean? Which one is better, 500:1 or 2000:1?
I've read somewhere that the lower the number, the better, ie. 400:1 would be the best, is this true?

ok, the contrast ratio is just a ratio of the luminosity, or brightness from the lightest possible pixel to the darkest possible pixel. Seriously, look at the reviews. Usually if they are good, then the monitor is good. To tell you the truth, you really don't have to worry about contrast ratio, because you can adjust it in-computer. I would pick 2000:1 because you can always downgrade it later through software, whereas 500:1 cannot perform to the potential of 2000:1. Telling you the truth, 2000:1 would be TERRIBLE to game at anyway. dont focus at that. Make sure your vid card is good. That decides how good fps games have.

What's the difference between a DVI Cable and a VGA Cable?
Which one would you prefer?

DVI - digital visual interface - the newer kinda monitor. I prefer this, because of faster refresh rates.
VGA - video graphics array - the older kind. I have nothing against it...but DVI is a safer investment

Which one is better and which one should I get?

ummmmm i would get monitor #1 becuase it is NUMBER ONE!
hahaha, to tell you the truth, it is 20 bucks more than the other, almost exact same specs....only main difference is 2ms response time versus 4 on monitor 2. 20 bucks isnt that much in the grand scheme of things, so i prefer #1. The truth is that they are almost the exact same, with 5% difference in 5 star/egg ratings.

Good luck.
----- eXile officer XilStorm, checking in -----

#3 gmangokevin

gmangokevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Cool, thanks for the help and opinion, monitor number 1 seemed better anyways since the 2ms is just too good, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users