Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Key Code From Sticker Invalid.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

Our non-profit organization just received some donated HP computers. The donor stated that these computers had factory-installed Windows XP operating systems, but the hard drives were all wiped clean before the computers were given to us. Each computer has its own Windows XP key code sticker.

Here's the problem: We tried installing XP from an OEM CD using the key codes on the stickers. The codes are being rejected. Naturally, we asked the donor if they had a reinstallation disk. He said that the computers were purchased pre-loaded with no disks.

How do we get the OS to recognize these keys as valid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Have you contacted Microsoft regarding this? If the product codes are real then there shouldn't be any problem getting help from them, they may even provide you with new codes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

:thumbsup: Hiya,

I have just undergone a very similar scenorio with donated computers and multi volume keys.You can of course check your installed volume key, download Belarc adviser is as good as any, it will reveal your product key.see if it matches up with the one you have to hand.

Failing that, pay Microsoft 95:47 (British Pounds Sterling) and they will immediatley E mail you a genuine key. A disc follows normally within 7 to 10 days, although Microsoft do say up to 28 days for delivery.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Rather than going to Microsoft, it might be less expensive to contact HP to see how much a set of restore discs would cost. If all the machines are the same model, you should only have to purchase one set.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN

Edited by oldf@rt, 07 August 2007 - 05:08 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

oldf@rt has the best plan. The last set of HP OEM XP disks I ordered cost $25, and that included over night shipping.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Thanks, everybody. oldf@rt, I chatted online with HP and they gave me some good advice. What I ended up doing was loading XP off of a retail (not OEM) disk and using the key on the computer. This worked just fine, so I did not even have to wait for the restore disk.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Great. Recovery discs do come in handy, as they will setup the computer exactly it came from the factory. All drivers, all software, the recovery partition, the ability to make more sets of discs, no chasing for drivers, etc. Downside is all the bundled junque software comes back. Personally I think having a set of recovery discs is worth the few $ that you would spend.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users