Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Still Won't Recognise My Monitor

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 grannieannie

grannieannie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

The reason I have been trying to re-build my computer, is that for weeks now, everytime I switched it on, the monitor went into standby (well, the light on monitor was green then clicked and went orange!)

When I asked my SIL who built it for me 2 years ago, she said it could be a faulty monitor, so I tried several others and they did the same, and I tried the monitors on another computer and they were okay. So SIL says if its not hte monitor is could be the graphics card, although graphics card was only 5 months old. Its a NVIDIA 5500. So we took graphics card back to the shop and they changed it, even though the card worked on their computers! SIL's next idea was it could be the PSU or the mobo!!!

So that's when I tried re-building the computer! I bought the Haynes "Build Your Own Computer" from Ebay, and set to work. So I now have a Pentium III processor on a D815EEA2/D815EPEA2 Mobo which is 2nd hand, but was working okay when it was on its last computer. I tried another PSU from the same machine as the mobo, I've put a 'new' 2nd hand 40 gig hard drive on it and its got XP running. But the monitor STILL doesn't show anything. Just that little orange light.

Has anyone any others ideas please? and kep it in layman's language please!!!! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

uhhhhhh.... that is an interesting problem.....
I actually have a friend who has the same problem....

so no matter what you try and swap out, its still no good. Hm

Ok, i have 1 idea.....try to swap out the monitor cable

almost guaranteed it isnt the power supply. The psu has nothing directly connected to the monitor in an ATX case, which I assume you have.
Easy way to check is if the PSU has 2 slots, one for wall power and 1 for monitor output. ATX has only 1 slot, for power input.

if not that, it really isnt worth it to fix the computer/monitor. BUT, if your sister in law has a spare computer, parallel in technology to your computer, then swap IN the parts. whenever the monitor doesnt work, that means the most recently added part is faulty.

Any questions, feel free to repost!
----- eXile officer XilStorm, checking in -----

#3 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

Hi Xilstorm, yes it is an ATX case. By monitor cable, so you mean the one to the power supply? I've tried 2 different ones, same problem. And the cable that goes from monitor to computer is fixed in the monitor, so I can't change those cables, but like I said, I have changed monitors, still the same.

I live nearly 2 hours drive from bro and SIL, but I will try to get another similar computer, perhaps on Freecycle, and try your suggestion of putting bits IN until the problem happens.

Thank you for the idea. Will let you know what happens!!!!

#4 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

ATX cases/PSU's don't have a monitor cable leading to the PSU. It rather goes to the back of the motherboard, as a DVI or VGA cable. That is the cable that I meant.

Also, does the monitor have a message if you turn it off&on, like MONITOR STANDBY or NO SIGNAL FOUND?

The fact that it has an orange light means that it's power cable is hooked up correctly, but I am worried about the data transfer cable.

#5 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

Defo ATX case. monitor cable goes from monitor to either mobo or my graphics card. (Don't know difference between DVI or VGA sorry!) but I can't change the cable, as it is fixed into back of monitor. But I have several monitors here, all of which work on my little PC (the one I'm on now), but not on my re-build. Strange eh???

No message on monitor at all, just a black screen. If I take the cable out, it says no signal found, check connection, but plug it back in and it goes black. When I switch monitor on, light goes green for a few seconds, then click and orange light comes on. But you say orange light means power is connected okay?

But I can't see it being the monitor cable, as each monitor has its own fixed cable, and they work on this computer.

After my SIL put in my new graphics card in January (I didn't want to do it, because I didn't realise it was as easy as it is!!!!) my pc worked fine until 2 months ago when I was given 4 oldish towers and 6 monitors by the company I work for p/t as they were going to throw them away. They had 2 bigger monitrs than what I had. So I tried one ofthem and it didn't work. So I told hubby it was probably broken. I then hooked my original one up (HP Pavilion), and it wouldn't work then either, but it was okay before! But when I tried both of them on this midi pc, they both worked!

The other thing that is strange about my re-build, is it doesn't recognise my broadband usb cable. I've had trouble with the internet for about the same time as the monitor problem, but I thought it was my ISP, as I kept getting cut off for sometimes minutes or sometimes hours at a time. So I went back with BT, but although I can get on the internet with this computer, I couldn't with the re-build!

But I do appreciate you trying to figure it out for me Xilstorm. I know its a bit strange, but it worries me all the time. This pc isn't as good as my other one. nd I can't stop thinking about it, sitting there waiting for me to sort it out!!!! Okay, I know, I'm nuts, but I can't help it!!!!!

#6 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

hi grannieannie
i will try to help you also :thumbsup:
just a couple of question will no monitors work on your re-build?

what type of monitor are you using?
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#7 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hi mx30, thank you. None of hte monitors I have here will work on my re-build. But I don't know what type they are as they no longer have labels on them. they are all about 5 years old. Grey and about 16 inch screens measuring on the diagonal (Is that the way they measure monitors, like TV screens?)

But all of the monitors work fine on this midi tower I'm using and on the midi tower OH uses to play solitaire!!!!!! (sad so and so!!!) lol

#8 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

Oh, they do measure diagnolly (is that the right spelling?). hahaha solitaire.

CRT or LCD?

Especially, what is the size of monitor you had when the system worked?

Just wondering, did you remember to ground yourself when you/ your sis in law worked on the computer?
Perhaps a shock killed it? I don't know, this is a very awkward problem....

That's OK though, we will fix it, somehow.

#9 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

They are all CRT monitors Xilstorm, 2 of them are 2 inches bigger then my original one and the other 4 are the same size.

I don't have a strap for earthing myself to the pc, but my book said its okay to touch the metal casing while you are working on it, which is what I do, and so does SIL. But maybe I forgot one time, but that wouldn't have been the original problem would it? as I only changed the monitors over and they stopped working on it. that ws before the re-build, but 5 months after SIL put in my graphics card.

But I do appreciate your ongoing thoughts. Maybe you'll hit the nail on the head one day eh? Perhas I should just throw it down the stairs and claim the insurance????? Problem solved!!!! lol

#10 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

hahaha that isn't a solution....it is just avoiding the problem successfully!

no, usually it is OK if you don't ground. Still ground yourself, just in case, but it actually takes a lot for a short to occur. I am not going to go into the details, though. that is beside the point.

I'll ask around, maybe ym sources will have a solution. Until then, try my swap-in strategy. Hopefully that will isolate the problem....

#11 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

I'm trying to find another computer to borrow or a freebie to try out your swap in idea Xilstorm!!!!

#12 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

I've had this happen to me randomly on several computers... I never really quite understood what the problem was. They always started working on their own again after a while. I would say this: turn off your computer and turn off your monitor. Is there a switch in the back of the power supply? If so turn the switch, this will cut off all power to the motherboard. If there is no switch, then just unplug the power cable from the back of the computer case. Now just wait 15 minutes or so. Come back and plug the power cable, turn the switch if there is one, turn on the monitor, and see if it works.

The switch I am referring to looks like this.

Edited by mand0, 08 August 2007 - 06:53 PM.

#13 grannieannie

grannieannie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:05 AM

If only it was that simple Mand0!!! lol Tried that one, nothing!

#14 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

Hi Grannie,

I read the posts (I love to watch MZ dance) and I thought I might add a suggestion. It looks like you have checked out all the hardware, soooo, does anybody know anything about NVIDIA? It showed up with my "new" XP machine. When I first turned it on, I had to define the flatscreen (not crt) monitor. But you haven't changed the type of monitor, so the settings shouldn't NEED changing, but I wonder if all the testing of other hardware has changed your settings. You said you had trouble accessing the internet at the same time you started having this problem. I don't know how to test software when you don't have a monitor... I would like to suggest running scans for virus and spyware; also would suggest loading in your operating system cd when you turn on the machine. Maybe your drivers got hammered, and NVIDIA can fix it for you.

I once started a "no sound" post, for days I checked wires and stuff, and then I found an rca cable hanging out, I'd forgotten the speakers were in the monitor, so with that said, did you plug your monitor into the right slot when you got home? Are there any jumper settings that might have gotten changed while you were doing your hardware testing?

Just some ideas for you and to say hello. Good luck

:thumbsup:
Joy
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#15 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

From what I could find out online, the MOBO has AGP slot for video card, right? Is that what you kind of card you are using? If so, do you have a PCI video card to try out, maybe the AGP slot went bad... After reading the thread it's kinda hard to come up with something not thought of.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users