Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 Security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andre_bergh

andre_bergh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:17 AM

Just how safe from virus attacks and malicious programs can you make a win98 pc, on a computer network of 60 computers, with a 24hours DSL linux internet proxy pc, a file server pc, and a VPN gateway pc........

I think i have a virus on one of the pc's, cause my linux internet proxy hangs allmost every 5 minutes. If i ping it i cannot see it. I think the Lan Card hangs.

20 of the 60 pc's are XP and the rest 98...
Norton 2004 is on most of the pc's and most are updated...

What to do my friends?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

Hi andre_bergh and :thumbsup: to BC.

Why havent you upgraded the other machines to XP. Thats where I would start. You'd be a lot safer with XP.

Disabling the XP fire wall and running a third party one would give you a greater amount of protection too.
Try running the Ad-aware and spy-ware programs found in Here then post back .

If you know which is the offending machine try downloading HiJackthis to a folder in your "C" directory. Run it from there and then post the log in the HJT forum . Someone there will be more than pleased to help you in reading your log and advising you of any problem found and how to remove it.

Good luck.
Let us know how you go.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 31 January 2005 - 04:18 PM.

JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users