Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Crashed While Defragging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fragrocks

fragrocks

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:20 AM

GRRR I HATE PCs!!!

Anyway.. I was carrying out a defrag of my PC and abouit 50% in the PC crashed, no rhyme or reason. Now on reboot it says "Disk read error press Ctrl Alt & Del" but it just keeps doing this. I can't get it into safe mode or Bios and its doing my head in!!

Can someone please tell me whats going on and how to fix it

Thank you xx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

What OS are you using? And by BIOS, you mean you can't even see the BIOS screen that comes up after your PC posts? (beeps?) If you can, do you mean that the keys you use to enter the BIOS settings don't respond at all? Also, when your computer completely froze, did you get a bluescreen? Or did the PC simply lock up and stop responding? Or did it fully restart?

Need a little more info, but from what you've said, I'd say your hard drive either had an error on it, provoked by the defrag, or defragmenter caused an unrecoverable error. This happened to me recently when using Vista and installing a driver with fast RAM timings. Sometimes it just happens. Usually small hard drive errors can be recovered, but sometimes (if you're attorciously unlucky) they can destroy your OS just like that.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

defrag and hard drive health longevity is a complicated problem, ideally a properly maintained computer will minimize wear and tear on the hard drive

keeping your system partition smaller and defragged where it only takes a few minutes is the best option

when windows has to deal with a lot of data and fragmentation it's going to put a lot of wear and tear on the drive trying to
defrag it

A tech at a shop said he had more returns from clients that defragged regularly, of course he always set his builds up as single partitions

I would run a drive diagnostic and see if it's failing
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 fragrocks

fragrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi and thanks for the responses. The OS is Windows XP Pro. At the time I was running the defrag the PC just went blank and restarted, no BSOD. When it restarts I get the Motherboard page and very quickly before I can hit DEL or f8 I get the black page with the error message. I do get the bleep to say its coming on and thats it! Its all over in a matter of seconds.

I have had LOTS of problems in the last few weeks and have pretty much rebuilt the PC with different parts to try and find the issue. The Motherboard and processor are brand new and the Hard drive is an old ish one from an old machine of mine. This is the first time I have defragged it since we moved it and I think the last time I defragged it was about 18 months ago, but then it has not been used since then.

Luckily ALL my data is on a slave hard drive due to almost losing everything 4 weeks ago when the other hard drive died a death! The PC was less than 18 months old when the motherboard, Hard Drive and memory all died a death. We are trying to get these returned to the manufacturer for a replacement.

#5 fragrocks

fragrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

Just to add, I get the screen which says "Verifying DMI pool data" Which I see when my PC starts up usually.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

I had a newer maxtor pata 30 gig that worked fine for over a year till I pulled it and set it aside, I saved it for over a year until I needed it to replace another pata that died

It was deader than a doornail, all the other maxtor drives I put in computers back then are still doing fine, but they get used
fairly often.

I have an extra 80 gig sata sitting back that I hook into a powerful computer every so often just to keep working
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 fragrocks

fragrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:40 AM

Well problem solved.. the hard drive is dead as a dodo! So onto HDD number 3! Although number 2 was an old one ... I am just so peed off at the mo! I have had this PC for only 18 months and I have had to rebuild it virtually. The only original item is the DVD Drive. We are not sure if it was sub standard products from a sub standard supplier but whatever it was we have NEVER shopped there since due to issue we had with the original build.

Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users