Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smoky299

smoky299

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

I have a Compaq Presario V4000 with a rubbish video card. is it possible to have an external video card that would enhance or overtake the internal one, i do not want a secondry monitor, just a way to enhance the one i got without replacing it. or would i need to replace it?
Gordon Reid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:01 AM

From google it seems it's not a video card but onboard graphics using system memory, see if you can increase the amount of shared memory in bios? Looks like that's your only option except for adding memory to the laptop or saving your money for a better computer.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

I've heard of a new technology coming out where you can hook up any pciex16 graphics card to a laptop externally. The only problem with this, is it can get quite expensive since you have to buy the external adapter and a separate monitor. I don't know when this is suppose to come out though :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

There is the ASUS XG Station but it requires the use of an external monitor as well.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users