Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Filtering

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sumesh md

sumesh md

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

one of the user in the network is using dial up internet connection..how can i prevent him from browsing unwanted sites

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

is the dial up through the network or is direct to the pc? if it dirrect i dont think anything can be done unless software is placed on the machine.

#3 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

ya it is directly to the system.no problem on installing software on that pc.which software can i use?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

I have been using iProtectYou v3.06. this is freeware and is very effective. It controls the traffic at the network level so it cannot be circumvented by installing a second browser.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:49 AM

thank yaar...

let me try this...

sumehs

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:57 AM

Although iProtectYou is an effective program, there are ways to overcome the block. That software is not a panacea for content filtering.

3939.png

#7 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:11 AM

thats ok,,users dont have that much knowledge..

thanks..

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Although iProtectYou is an effective program, there are ways to overcome the block. That software is not a panacea for content filtering.

If an abuser want to violate the rules of internet access there will always be a way to circumvent filters. All we can do is recommend reasonable solutions to the current problem.
What I was referring to, when I said it could not be circumvent by installing a second browser was the block is on a system level, not on the browser level like IE does.
What I did not suggest but I find more effective is to block everything and allow the sites you want the user to have access to. It takes a while to setup but it is much harder to by pass the restriction.
In my case the kids would give me a url to review. If it was OK then I granted access. If not it remained blocked. Verses allowing everything and only blocking objectionable site when and if they are found. This was effective when my then 12 year old daughter tried to slip a proxy site by me.
There are ways to work around the most harden filter if the sites are not restrict to known controlled sites.
I just felt this was a good first step, short of a full blown proxy server and filtering software.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Indeed, programs such as iProtectYou are a great initial first step when blocking children from harmful content.

Edited by DJBPace07, 16 August 2007 - 04:40 PM.

3939.png

#10 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

ya..

i have installed iprotectyou and it is working..thnaks a lot..

sumesh

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

Great. There is a program that will assist you, locking Window 9x\ME also if you happen to have one of those OS on any of your computers. Core Control 2.0. DO NOT USE WITH NT\W2k\XP\Vista!
Three things to make it tough for someone to gain control of your computer. First, when not needed you should have your computer set to boot only to the hard drive, via the BIOS settings. Second, you should have a lock on the case of your computer. I am talking about a pad lock, not just a BIOS password. Third, only allow permissions that are absolutely needed by the users. If you do not want them installing programs or modifying setting learn how to configure the limited use accounts in windows W2k\XP\Vista.
Nothing is 100%, but you can make it very difficult with some effort.

#12 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

this is only for win98/me? but i have all windows xp systems over here..anyway thanks for the advice..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users