Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze And/or Blue Screen With

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:02 AM

Freezing screen and sometimes get MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION blue screen. Ive tried so many programs, logs, cleaning etc.
I have been told my computer is dirty, its my memory, its my power source its my hard drive. Ive got message saying windows has recovered from a serious problem and in my firefox came this:
http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Respons...f3-25d4c1942780

I started thinking it could be malware. I have a four year old dell with XP. I finally called them and ran diagnostics and memory passed but found errors on my hard drive. So if it is in fact my hard drive Im looking for advice for getting my computer back to where it is now when i actually try to put this new drive in. Here is link to my previous thread in hijack area:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry587887

It seems to work fine for most part(it will record all morning) but then when i try to do something like encode wav recordings into mp3 it freeze. Thats half of what i use my computer for is recording and encoding to my mp3 player. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

It would help if you were to tell us what you have been pocking and prodding it with. Have you gone to the web site of the manufacturer of your hard drive and downloaded their diagnostic tool? Have you downloaded memtest86 and run it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:14 AM

Here's a link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x9c

Most commonly this is linked to overyheating/overclocking although bad hardware could also produce this error message.

So, I'd suggest that the first thing to do is to clean out the inside of the case (to include ensuring the fins on the CPU cooler aren't hiding any dust bunnies). Next is to discontinue any attempts at overclocking and restore the system to it's default values (this gives a stable platform to test from).

Then run "chkdsk /f /r" (without the quotes) from the Run dialog on the Start Menu. You'll have to answer Yes and then reboot in order for it to run.

Then, backup your data as the error report from Micrsoft states. If your hard drive is failing you may not have much time left to recover your stuff.

Then, download and run a diagnostic test from the manufacturer of your hard drive - this will give more precise results (IMO) than the built in Dell diagnostics.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 frankgrimes

frankgrimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

How do i check for overheating to see if thats an issue? I dont think im overclocking anything.

Ive ran mem86; pass, seatools; said repaired four errors, chkdsk /f /r, bitdefender, stinger, ccleaner, registry mechanic, adaware, spybot, combofix, counterspy, AVG, Dell diagnostics, spyware blaster, hijackthis...

ive been running my computer without the side panel and tonight i will go thorough and completely clean out every detail. Even though ive ordered a new harddrive im curious if its the power supply instead(or both!).

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

It depends on what caused the errors on the hard drive. I tend to doubt a drive that has errors on it unless I know what actually caused it.

If you're not aware of any overclocking/tweaking that you've done, then it's likely that your system isn't overclocked.

You can use this free utility to monitor your system temps: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:20 AM

speedfan: 2234 rpm 35C
I did notice it get to 43C. Got a freeze soon after. I was running AusLogics defrag and browsing internet with firefox. It still doesnt explain why i cant encode my .wav recordings into .mp3 without freeze either.
Are you saying that you think its not my hard drive and I dont need a new one? Where do i go from here?

Edited by frankgrimes, 09 August 2007 - 03:10 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

The temps don't look bad, so I'd have to suspect other hardware errors.

I don't know if it's the hard drive - the Seagate tools said that they repaired it. Try running the Seagate tools again to see if it repairs it again - that'll help to narrow it down to something that's either corrupting the hard drive or that the hard drive keeps needing to have repaired.

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Ok i ran seatools again and got no errors. At the beginning when i started the scan a message did come up(cant rmember if it happened 1st time) saying: Drive has been overtemp -- 253 Do you want to continue?

I ran test then switched to my other hard drive and the temp said 45 worst temp 49. My computer has basically been running since 3am this morning (its now 10am). Recording until 9am when i logged on and ran seatools and replyed to this thread. Speedfan has temp at 40 right now. LAst night i totally cleaned out fan, power supply, connections, anything i could possible see dust on. So memory test passed, temp not an issue, hard drive or something still freezing? Now what?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

An overheated drive can cause problems with your system - but it depends on when it overheated and for how long it was overheated. Presuming that this is a Seagate drive that you're testing, I'd suspect that at one point it did overheat and that this is the cause of your errors. Since it passed the test, I'd just keep an eye on it for further problems (and keep your stuff backed up - just in case!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users