Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sumesh md

sumesh md

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:02 AM

hi this is sumesh from uae

i have a small doubt. i am using 1 server and 1 16 port switch and 16 nodes. if i removed one cable from switch is it possible to find out which computer is disconnected from server?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

if i remember In the switch can you call up a mac table which says what mac is connect to which port? been along time since i delt with switches and routers. i may be wrong though.

#3 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

thanks for ur comment..but i am not using a manageable switch

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

Whenever you disconnect from the switch the computer attached should display an error message that the network is not available.
Using a computer at the switch, in My Network Places, will show you which computers are on line. To make it display an error massage Map the Network drives first. When you unplug the computer the error will display note that, that computer is unavailable. If you have a notebook computer that would be convenient.
I hope I am not confusing the issue.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 sumesh md

sumesh md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:54 AM

thanks acklan..

this is what i want to know..let me try this