Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needed Ie Based Browser For Linux

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

I need a working IE based Brower for Linux. I have used IE4Linux in the past and was not impressed with them (cannot manually surf only click and follow off of the home page). The Girlfriend needs to access her benefits page from work (Which uses Active-X Controls). RPM Files would be wonderful. Thanx guys.

MOD EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum~stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 08 August 2007 - 07:15 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Sadly, the only option I can find is IE4Linux. If you just need it for the one website, I would say just bookmark the page. Assuming this is the only purpose you have need of, I would think that would work out just fine.
Sorry!

Edited by Glunn11, 09 August 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Perhaps run IE in wine?

#4 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

Perhaps run IE in wine?

I just checked out the AppDB - it has a SILVER rating... but ActiveX doesn't work.

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

Galleon used to be capable of reporting as IE, I think Konqueror can as well. It's in the browser preferences.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

One thing you might try is running Firefox in WINE, YES WINE, and installing the Silverlight beta plugin for cross platform/cross browser .net support. Silver Light is M$'s next generation web suite. Essentially a new take on .net. Since firefox already supports ActiveX, the add-on should theoretically allow your G/F to check her bene's website.

If you're using a debian based system, activeX "should" work in WINE with IE 6.0 This cannot be verified. It appears as though there are several IF's here. you may attempt either option, but make no mistake that it will be tricky and may cause WINE to crash or a kernel panic.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

You could also install Windows onto a virtual machine like Virtual Box or QEMU.
Kind of a radical solution, but it should work.
Posted Image

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Wow, Some of the suggestions are really off the wall (like going out and buying Windows again. LOL)

Joedude is right you can set konquorer to act as IE. Now how do I make it act that way all the time, it'll do it for any web page you insert into the preferences, (the default is Mozilla 5.0 but I need it to be IE6 XP) because i cannot access the site only she can (and the URL moves between various hosts ie insurance carrier, Corporate, accounting) I can make the main page act as IE6 but when she checks her insurance it automagicly returns to Mozilla mode. Any Ideas? (OS is PCLOS)

Posted Image

#9 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

You're most likely running into some component of .NET that isn't supported, or at least not well, on konquorer or others. Unless you could speak directly with the developers of the site, it's tough to know what's causing the issue in konquorer.

This is a very unique situation. I do believe there are pay options. (you could have code weavers or perhaps someone else write .net compatible binaries)

Or you could just by Windows?

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

This is a very unique situation. I do believe there are pay options. (you could have code weavers or perhaps someone else write .net compatible binaries)

I anit paying to fix it for her (she can go buy her own PC)

Or you could just by Windows?

I have yet to buy Windows and i dont intend on starting now. If im forced ill bum the neighbors copy of XP Pro again (since i bought said computer from him and didnt intend on having Windows he kept the disks and used them on my soon to be server, have to go pick it up later and reinstall Linux on it)

Shes using the roommates PC (Mr Bill Gates is god dude) for now and she wants to get a new laptop anyway for herself. Im just sure I'm gonna run into this issue again in the future and wanted to know the fix now. (Wish IE Tab worked for Linux)

Posted Image

#11 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

try this:

Installin IE in Linuxalso, in Konqueror, ther should be an option to have it default as IE. I haven't used it in a while, but I remember having to do it when I used to use Suse.

Edited by Joedude, 11 August 2007 - 04:24 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#12 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...MSNovellPR.mspx

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/25/...verlight_1.html

http://www.sdtimes.com/article/LatestNews-20070801-46.html

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18088/Repo...hEd-2007/page2/

the First Four articles are completey serious concering Silverlight ported to other OS's
This last link is for you hardcore M$ Fans and Linux Cynics. No pun intended.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126671

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

Up and running in Konquerer. Will write a How-to as soon as i figure out what i did. (Dumb luck wins again!!!)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users