Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Creating A Hotspot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 no1uno090

no1uno090

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

Well this is a very long story, ok let me start....

About a week ago I bought an iBook G4 laptop off of eBay (The laptop and airport wireless card work perfectly) so I was planning of connecting it to a hotspot but found out there are barely any near my house, so then I just remembered that my HP m7480n desktop computer was wifi enabled and came with a little antenna to connect to wireless networks, and I thought why should I go out to the store and buy a wireless router when I can just make the wireless antenna give off a hotspot. So I connected my Ethernet wire to my computer and connected the antenna i then had to configure my computer to convert my high speed internet Ethernet wire into a wireless hotspot other computers can connect to. So I watched a CNETTV video that showed my how to do it () so I did everything in the "Configure Windows XP to give off a hotspot" section of the video.

So I first went to start then right clicked on my wireless network connection box and went to properties I then made my wireless network, I named it hotspot and gave it a password (WEP) I then went to Advance and selected to use only Computer to Computer (ad hoc), I then went to the advance TAB and clicked on "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection". I was finished "so I thought" so I turned on my ibook G4 laptop and searched for my network, LO AND BEHOLD it was there! I then selected it and entered the password in, It then told me the password was correct, BUT THEN an error message came up saying Airport was unable to connect to the wireless network... So i went back to my desktop computer to check if it was enabled and it was! I then thought it must be a problem with the airport card so I tried connecting to another network which was encrypted, instead of giving me the error it connected to it (pw was admin :thumbsup:) so I knew it was not a problem with the airport card.

I am VERY confused, can anyone please tell me what is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

If i remember correctly, the airport card is not capable of connecting to an ad hoc wireless connection on a pc.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users