Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gparted... Iso

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have XP installed on a 60 GB drive that I split up into (3) 20GB partitions. -" XPs on one of the partitions, the other 2 are empty. Now I need to add the unused space ( Im running out). I saw on the Gparted web site that it could be done with out messing up my current XP installation. I was wondering if anyones done this before and how difficult it is to do? would I just burn the ISO to a disk and boot from the disk? Would the Gparted "app" be all I would need or is there anything else? I see its in the" list of recommended freeware apps" so it must be good, I just dont wanna mess anything up.
Any advice ?? thanx ......rayandmaura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

GParted Live CD is a nice thing. If you have Linux, you can download it as a program, but since Linux is already mounted when you use the program, you can't make changes to the Linux you are using, I think. I'm not an expert on it, but all I can say is be very careful and double-check what you do.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

First you will have to make the free space manually if you dont want to lose files (i suggest burning all music to MP3 DVD or Cd backups) and removing programs you no longer use until you reach around 20 GB Used. Then Defragment your Xp drive (this will save you from a massive headache) and back it up to DVD or CD (or a Backup HDD). You should only be using around 20 GB at this point and all of it should be towards the beginning of the drive.

Now your ready for the GParted Live CD. Assuming you have Nero or a Similar CD burning program. Download the ISO file save to desktop and then insert a blank CD, Open Nero and find the selection for "Burn ISO to Disc" then select the GParted ISo and the program will take care of the rest. Once its finished burning reinsert the CD and Reboot your PC. It should Boot the GParted CD. from there you will need to resize the Windows Xp drive. im not sure what you want to do formatting wise I do not believe that GParted will format to NFTS (XP uses this) or if it will even recognize the format period. I will check later to see. But I believe it will only format to FAT/FAT32/ext3/ext2 and other *nix formats (FAT and FAT32 are older MS formats that are included for compatability)

Posted Image

#4 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:00 AM

BlackSpyder, Im sorry but im not sure what you mean.The partitions are 20 Gbs meaning the one I have XP installed on is 20 and the other 2 partitions are 20 GBs each. I really dont want to delete any thing off this partition. So are you saying If I use Gparted ill lose data on the xp partition? Because I thought Gparted would make the 2 "empty" partitions space available and id then have 40 GBs more available as useable space and still have my OS system intact. Isnt that what Gparted does?This xp setup is on a 20 GB partition and im out of space I need to reclaim the other 2 empty partitions. I hope I explained that right also I saw on the Gparted web site that it does support NTFS,but theres no clear instructions. . Have you actually ever used the program and if so is there anything else id need or would the Gparted be the only thing? Thank You for taking the time assist us..........

rayandmaura

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

There is always a chance of a "slip" while resizing partitions - so a backup is essential. FWIW - I did this to my Toshiba laptop and hosed not only the C: partition, but the recovery partition that I'd made - so my backup was useless (and my efforts at recovering the backup failed also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

My bad, I thought you wanted to go the other way (create 3 20 Gb partitions instead of expand 1 and delete 2). Ignore the First section of my post.

1)Back up your XP partition to CD/DVD (Like USASMA said there is a possibility of ruining the Windows install)
2) Boot the GParted Live CD
3)Delete the 2 Unwanted Partitions using GParted (Make sure you know which partition is which)
4)if possible Expand the remaining partition (If GParted can handle NFTS, I dont know I have never used it for Windows Partitions)
5)If GParted cannot Handle NFTS you should be able to do the resize from the Windows Disk Manager.

Posted Image

#7 mayfair

mayfair

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

Just to add to what's been said before.

You will end up booting into linux, not to worry as it's all in a ram disk, memory only. To do this you will have to be able to select what drive to boot from, you will need the CD/DVD drive. You will probably find this option in the boot screen when starting or may have to go to bios to make the change

Yes you can format the currently unused partitions into NTFS partitions using GParted.

GParted is very easy to use and gives you a graphic display of what is currently on the disk and than again a graphic display of what you propose to do. You then have the option to continue on by selecting Apply changes or not.

Very easy to use. But as has been mentioned don't forget the backup beforehand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users