Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trace Route Commands Not Recognized...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 st1d

st1d

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

Please help me find out why i cannot run tracert -d www.google.com or tracert.exe , dos command prompt says that it is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

this computer is runnin windows xp home and my reason for wanting to run a trace route is that my other computers are timing out the first line when directly connected to modem and timing out second line when connected to router. i have plenty of speed online though. strange huh? the modem was just replaced today and it is doing the same thing, so that issue is not the modem though that result would suggest i shouldnt be online at all , but speedtest.net is giving me very close to my 10mb download and 1mb upload connection. I simply want to verify those results on this machine, but it wont run trace route for some odd reason...

please help me :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

Use the search feature, under the Start button, to see if you have a file called tracert.com.

This is the possible problem.

W32/Wurmark-I blocks access to a number of system utilities by creating a set of companion dummy files with file extension COM in the system folder. The worm creates the following files:

cmd.com
netstat.com
ping.com
regedit.com
taskkill.com
tasklist.com
tracert.com

W32/Wurmark-I

I am not saying you have this but we need to rule out a virus. If this is present do not attempt a fix till you receive advise from an expert.

Edited by acklan, 07 August 2007 - 12:15 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users