Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Connect To My Ftp Server Externally?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 evan409

evan409

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and I would like to know if there is a way I can connect to my FTP Server(on the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition) from anywhere? I can connect to it from anywhere on the network but I want to be able to go over to my buddies house(not on the network) and connect to my FTP Server. If I go over to my buddies house right now and try to connect to it, it says site not found or doesn't exist. Can someone please help?

Evan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

There's going to be several pieces to look at here. Minus a small networking guide and an intro to Windows Server 03 EE this is not any easy task. the first thing I would ask, do you have a router with port forwarding turned ON for FTP. this will be the first thing to take into account. 2nd, you need to verify that the FTP server is running. Make certain that you're required to use authentication. Do NOT use windows authentication over the web unless you know what you're doing, as thing opens you up to a barrage of virii.

two excellent routers for port forwarding and VPN would be the FVS114 by Netgear and the RV042 by linksys.
Secure in my mind, and easy to use if you have a basic understanding of TCP/IP.

let me know what you have going as far as a router and port forwarding. Default FTP is port 21, use this for now, but you may want to change that in the future.

Check that out and get back to me

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Try LogMeIn Hamachi. The free version allows up to 16 computers to be networked together from almost anywheres. If you what to VNC remote computers try the LogMeIn Free. Very simple and easy to use.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

It looks as tho LogMeIn could put some companies out of business. Not a Bad Product.

#5 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

I agree, Hamachi is what you want to use. It's secure and doesn't crash (well it hasn't for me) as well as easy to setup.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#6 evan409

evan409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have a Belkin Wireless G router. I have to say. It sucks. But it was cheap.

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:48 AM

that still doesn't say much. do you know how to set up port forwarding? and have you looked at LogMeIn as suggested by Acklan?

#8 evan409

evan409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

ok, everything works now but the only way I can connect to it is by typing "ftp://my.ip.address" Is there a way to change the name to make it something like "ftp://evan409"? Yes, I have used LogMeIn and I didn't like it.

Thanks,
Evan

#9 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:10 AM

You could check to see whether a free DNS registrar cabability is an option for your router. What this does, is allow you to map a Friendly web address to your unfriendly IP Address. Usually DynDNS.com or TZO.com are the offerings of router manufacturers. The idea here is that you would have to Register your friendly address on internet servers so that putting in that address would give access to your ftp server.

Furthermore, your server might be accessable by search engines and hackers more easily. therefore, some type of secure login would be a plus to your situation.

If your router doesn't have VPN capabilities, then you would set up your ftp server with either some pre-set login script, or embed the login into a https website. there are a number of ways you can do this, but you may want to research this further.

So, Option, go through the hassle of DNS registration, which I don't believe your router has by default; Or stick with the IP Address.
And Get secure!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users