Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Start Up Repair Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisjg

chrisjg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Can anyone help please?! Switched off my Dell Inspiron last night & today it will not load properly. It starts up as usual with the Dell logo etc but then tries to do a Start Up Repair. At the end of that it says it has failed to do the repair but when i go to the Advanced System Option I cannot go further because it wants a password etc. but when I try it says "your a/c has been disabled. Please see your system administarator." I have done a full Pre Boot Asessment test & all ok. Done a Diagnostic check, Error Code 0F00:137B IDE device failed. Pressed F8 tried it in Safe Mode,Last Known Good config & Start Windows Normally, all end up with the Start up Repair page & can go no further. Found this site which looks great & very interesting & looked at your Vista Repair & Recovery tutorial & particuliirly "How to automatically Repair Vista using Start Up Repair". You do it a different way by saying to put in the Dvd sent by the manufacturer before booting. I have two DVDs one has on it Device Drivers,Diagnostic & Utilities but have tried that one & nothing seems to happen?! Also have DVD headed "Operating System Reinstallatin DVD Windows Vista Home Premium." Is this the one to put in as it says that this dvd is not for reinstalling progs or drivers. If it is the one I can then use your tutorial. I am confused? Any other ideas would be most welcome. I hope i don't have to lose everything & start again! Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

You have a drive failure of some kind; Error Code 0F00:137B IDE device failed, probably your optical drive. If you have only one cd/dvd (optical) drive you may not be able to repair the os. I would recommend that you contact dell for warranty repairs.

On the dell dvds that came with your machine , the Operating System Reinstallation DVD is the actual windows vista dvd, the one that would be used in the tutorial.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 chrisjg

chrisjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the above ideas "oldf". Managed to sort the problem out but none of anyones ideas worked!! Spoke to Dell & they said i would have to wipe the hard drive & start again - so put the phone down!! After a few hours messing with every config I could find managed to get it to come up with the Sysytems Restore page but it was underneath another page & whenever i closed the top page the one I wanted closed. In the end managed just to see the box I needed on the edge so pointed the arrow & it got rid of the top page, so rolled back to a good recoevery point - sorted!! Mean't to post this ages ago but hope it helps!!

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I still recommend that you re run the dell diagnostics to verify your previous error.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users