Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Hdds

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

I'm considering upgrading my son's hdd.It has xp home upgrade on it.Due to the fact I never did this before can someone share some knowledge or perhaps post a link that would show me some guidance on this.It would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Ok, first thing you want to check is if it is IDE or SATA cable (the existing hard drive).

IDE = a big ribbon cable
SATA = a thin, usually orange cable

IDE is easier to add a drive, SATA is a bit more complicated, but the transfer rate is faster

Make sure you don't confuse the Hard Drive with the CD drive....CD always has a ribbon cable

Please post back so I can help you further.
----- eXile officer XilStorm, checking in -----

#3 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

The computer has an IDE cable and the hdd that i'm going to install also has IDE.

#4 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

Ok, it is easy then! :thumbsup:

....all you have to do is to:

1. Buy the IDE hard drive
2. Locate the jumper on the back of the old HD. Set it to master. I don't know if you know what a jumper is, so.... it is a little plastic thing that connects two pins together, manually. The settings are shown on the top of the hard drive. Master the old HD
3. Find the jumper on the new HD, set it to slave.
4. hook up the hard drives so that the IDE cable goes first to the master hard drive and then to the slave

...after that, everything should auto-configure! That's it for the hardware part.

THEN, go to control panel>administrative tools>Computer management>storage>disk management.

you should see 2 hard drives. right click the new one (this is the unformatted one). Click format. Follow the procedure, DON'T quick format.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

#5 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

Would this switch files from the old hdd to the new hdd?Can i remove the old hdd after the procedure you mentioned?

#6 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

well, what this procedure does is it:

Keeps the old hard drive and all of its files, but....
It adds an empty HD, to store files in.

This keeps both hard drives, so rather than getting a new 40 gb HD and using 20 immediately, you have 20 used in old HD and 40 free in the new HD.

you would then have 2 hard drives to work on. You can transfer files from one HD to the other, but it doesnt transfer automatically

the answers to your questions are as follows:

1. no, it doesn't switch files. As far as I know, it is impossible to copy all of your files from one HD to another....you would have 2 identical OS's
2. No, you cannot remove the old hard drive, it still has all of your old files, and more importantly, windows XP (what the directions were intended for).

Edited by XilStorm, 06 August 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#7 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

When i gives this a go in an hour or so i'll let you know how it went. :thumbsup:

#8 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

cool. I'll be on IM @ LearJet92 if you need fast help

#9 grannieannie

grannieannie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hi there, I hope you don't mind me highjacking your thread, but I'm trying to re-build my computer, and I've installed a 40gig 2nd hand hard drive, which I've installed XP on, but I took the old 10 gig HDD out as when I asked my SIL (who builds computers) if I can have 2 hard drives in, she said its a lot of messing about in the BIOS etc, and not to bother, but it seems so easy the way you put it Xilstorm. My old HDD has ME on, is it possible to put the old one back, or too late now? I think I savd everything I wanted from it, but there's always something isn't there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

#10 XilStorm

XilStorm

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

First of all i appreciate your compliment.
Second, please post in a new topic if you have a problem. God i sound like an idiot.

Ok at any rate, yeah, you can use it. just make sure, in your bios, to set the boot device priority to the HD with XP on it. If not, it will boot from ME.
Once you have XP booted, recover whatever files you need. If you don't need any files. go through the steps to wipe the HD. I already stated this, but ill re-say....

go to control panel>administrative tools>Computer management>storage>disk management.

you should see 2 hard drives. right click the new one (this is the unformatted one). Click format. Follow the procedure, DON'T quick format.

if you have any more questions, please create a new post. I will answer there.

Edited by XilStorm, 06 August 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#11 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

1. no, it doesn't switch files. As far as I know, it is impossible to copy all of your files from one HD to another....you would have 2 identical OS's
2. No, you cannot remove the old hard drive, it still has all of your old files, and more importantly, windows XP (what the directions were intended for).

If you really do want to switch the harddrives out (and keep the slower 20 gig for storage), it's not really that hard. Retail hard drives normally include a cd with them (such a maxblast for maxtor) with utilities to clone hard drives and such. Worked fine on my xp rig, it got messed up with linux partitions.

Posted Image

#12 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

I removed the jumper from the new hdd to set it to slave.However when i went to format the new hdd it said to initialize disk.I couldn't see a format tab.(on the new hdd to said to remove the jumper completely in order to set to slave.Was the wise?

#13 grannieannie

grannieannie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

Sorry Xilstorm, was trying to save space!!!! And I did it on another thread, but won't do it again, promise! Tomorrow, if I can figure out where my front panel connectors go, I'll give the 2 hard drive thingy a go. thanks a lot for you help.

#14 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

Thanks XilStorm,I had to mess around a bit to get it to format but got it fixed now.Your help was greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users